One of the most widely used methods of communication, promotion and outreach, which is used by all types of businesses these days, is email marketing. This type of marketing is getting popular rapidly because of the widespread use of the internet. However, a business can only undertake effective email marketing if it has a consumer email database for sending their messages. The success of the email marketing campaign will be dependent on the composition and quality of the list. There are numerous websites on the web that offer businesses with a compiled database of consumers, which they can use for sending their messages.
The number one priority for the most successful businesses and companies is to maintain and grow their own customer database. They not only use email marketing for reaching their current customers, but also use it for luring prospective customers. However, it is essential for businesses to comply with the best practices and laws in order to avoid being marked as SPAM. Instead of using the ready-made databases available, it is best to create your own as it helps a business is selecting the right target audience. The following steps can be followed for this purpose:
- The business should first sign up with a renowned email service provider. These service providers help companies in handling any list issues they may have such as unsubscribing and will automatically store the database of consumer addresses and names.
- A business should also ensure that in all their sales transactions, they are collecting the email addresses of their customers. This is because it will help a business in compiling a list of previous consumers who may have an interest in any future sales and promotions.
- Whether you have an online or physical store, place a sign-up sheet for customers and visitors to fill. A consumer database can be built up this way and a business will be able to reach all those consumers who are interested in the types of products sold by it. Offer some value to the customers or visitors when they are signing up as this will motivate them to do so.
- Stores and websites of competitors, conferences, warranty cards, catalog sales, local events and trade shows are some other places for finding more email list members. One should always be ready to note down the email address of anyone who might be interested in the products and services sold by the business.
- The list should be segmented into separate groups, which should be based on different factors like location, buying history, age, previous customers and prospects. This will aid a business in sending out more specific messages to specific people.
- It is also necessary for the business to clean their email database from time to time. Mark Charls, a marketing specialist from SG consumer email database, says “Removing emails from a database is important in order to avoid emails getting marked as SPAM or bounced. The overall deliver-ability rate and reputation of the business will be improved in this way“.
Comprehensive email marketing can be done as long as the database is created in this way.