It is now undeniable that Skype has broken many barriers to communication, and has completely changed how people now communicate on a worldwide scale.
If you’ve been using Skype for your video or audio calls for any considerable amount of time, you’ve probably figured out by now that the only default Skype ringtone is available for your incoming calls. For any end-user the ability to customize and choose the ringtone of their own choice is simply an indispensable feature we just expect out of today’s apps.
Though unknown to many users, Skype does allow for ringtone customization by importing any mono WAV audio file under 1.5 Mb in size into the application then selecting it as your chosen default ringtone for all incoming calls. Additionally, multiple tones can also be imported into Skype and set as different notifications and alarms. Nearly all aspects of Skype’s sound scheme can be customized by the user and all from within the application itself.
To customize Skype sounds using Windows or Mac:
- Go to Tools >> Options >> then click Sounds. (the sound event modification tab is also accessible by navigating to Skype >> Profile >> Change Sounds)
2. Click the Import Sounds button to select a prepared or otherwise compliant audio file.
Note: Use mono .WAV or .skype audio under 1.5 Mb in size for custom sounds and ringtones.
The imported tones will be added and displayed in the My Custom Box.
3. In the Select which event plays a sound box, highlight and select the Event Sound that you wish to change. Tick the box beside the events you want to play a sound, click the play icon to preview your selected tone.
4. In the Choose Which Sound to Play drop-down menu highlight and select your custom audio tone in the Choose Which Sound to Play drop-down menu.
5. Click Save and enjoy your new custom tone.
Download a prepared custom WAV file here to try with Skype.