Over and again, content has been placed on the e-commerce throne. However, not many are aware that website promotion entails not just the provision of eye-opening, relevant, and mind-blowing content in your own online “home” but also when it comes to visiting other “homes” and making your presence felt. Good content all throughout the web, and most especially within your industry, will definitely help mold and enhance your authoritativeness and online presence.
More and more e-marketers these days are realizing the great importance and efficacy of blog commenting as a marketing strategy. A lot of website neophytes are giving it a try as it’s definitely much easier, less time-consuming, and cheaper too.
The Rationale Behind Blog Commenting
Why is blog commenting continuously gaining popularity as a powerful marketing strategy?
Well, first of all, this is the best way to get involved in your niche community and get to know the most influential blogs and websites in this particular area. Secondly, you also get to tap into their networks and capture the attention of their readers. Thirdly, this is definitely a wonderful opportunity too to interact with your target audience and get to know them better.
As a result, you get to market your own website and encourage readers interested in your niche to check out your own articles and posts.
Essential Steps to Follow
Commenting on blogs seems so simple. But guess what? It can break you just as much as it can benefit you, if you don’t go about it carefully and properly. So before you plunge head-on into this marketing pool, please take the time to read these essential steps:
1. Search for blog lists in your niche.
If your own blog falls under the technology industry, you can search the phrase “technology blogs list” and you’ll be led to several articles that provide recommended sites you can visit. Better yet, make your chosen keyword more specific such as using “top gadget blog sites” or “online software blogs list”.
2. Focus on a few blogs that interest you.
Rather than attempting to drop by and leave a comment at each of those in the list, what you can do is focus on just a few blogs that seem to catch your eye and interest you. This way, you’ll be able to follow the posts in these sites and thus come up with more relevant and insightful content for your comments.
3. Read at least five of the latest posts.
One way to have a better sense of the author’s style, perspectives, and advocacies is to read at least five of the latest posts in a blog before making a comment. In this light, you increase the likelihood of your comment to be noticed and to leave an impact on other readers, especially the avid followers.
4. Make sure to read the existing comments.
Another important step you shouldn’t skip is to also read the existing comments on several posts in the blog. This way, you can also gain an enhanced awareness and appreciation of how the community members think, react, and express their judgments, thoughts, and feelings. You can’t just jump in without understanding this because your comment will tend to stick out dreadfully and turn off potential website visitors instead of attracting them.
5. Choose a recent post that truly strikes you.
Don’t just comment on any post. It’s better to pick the entry that truly strikes you one way or another. If it triggers an emotion or a strong opinion you have about the matter, it will be easier to write a good blog comment that will draw attention and spark interest.
6. Go over the posted comments on the thread.
After choosing the post you wish to comment on, you must read the existing comments that are already there. Read about 3 or 4 thoroughly and skim through the rest of the thread. This will guarantee that you don’t end up repeating ideas and opinions or sounding as if you’re interrupting the flow of the conversation. Besides, those in the thread will pay more attention to your comment if you’re able to inject your own insights smoothly while relating these to what have already been discussed.
7. Carefully craft the words of your comment.
The final step is to carefully craft your words so that you get your message across loud and clear. You get to make an impression and at the same time intrigue the others too. When this happens, they will likely visit your site or interact with you.
Important Tips You Need to Keep in Mind
Aside from the steps given above, there are other important tips that you ought to bear in mind. Make blog commenting worth your while by considering these pieces of advice from various Internet marketing gurus:
- Never, ever drop a direct link without value. If you should link to your own content, make sure it’s appropriately done and does not look like mere promotion. You don’t want to appear like some spammer, right? Then take time to skillfully create value first within your comment.
- Try to avoid general comments like “This is a very helpful article that I would love to apply in my own field” or “Thanks so much for the wonderful insights”. Be more specific such as mentioning what exactly in the article gave you that “a-ha” moment. Describe how you intend to apply the given tips in your business or craft.
- Make sure to use your actual name and photo. You don’t want to appear like a nameless, lifeless robot but rather a genuine human being whom people can relate to.
- Offer something new and different, possibly even an opposing view. But of course, you must deliver your ideas in a polite manner without questioning the credence of the author. You can try using the sandwich method if you want to express a contradictory opinion.
In following the steps and tips given above, surely you’ll reap the rewards of blog commenting as a marketing strategy for your own website.