Thinking about becoming a cat owner? Make sure you’ve analyzed all the facts before making your final decision.
There are two sides to every story; your side and the cat side. So you might want to consider the cat side of the story while considering your reasons for wanting a cat.
Possessing a cat can change your life. Caring for any life form takes away from your personal time. Caring for the needs of a cat will require extra money out of your budget. If you’re not a very patient person, well– you need to know that cat’s require your patience.
Purina suggest asking yourself the following questions while analyzing your choice to have a future with a cat or not.
- Are you willing to commit to caring for a cat for 18 years or more?
- Can you provide a minimum of two 20-minute play sessions with your cat each day?
- Do you have the time to groom a cat regularly?
- Can you afford the veterinary, micro-chipping, registration, food, toys and grooming costs of a cat?
- Does your job or lifestyle require you to travel?
- Is your house near a busy road?
- Is anyone in your household allergic to cats?
- Will you cope if your furniture is scratched or if messy accidents occur?
My input regarding cats
I have a cat, and I can vouch for the fact that owning one is a great responsibility. There are factors about owning a cat that can’t be foreseen until you’re actually living with one, but it helps to have the facts beforehand to take into consideration.
Animals become attached and connected to their owners. Adopting a cat and finding out down the road that it’s not the future that you want after all, can only lead to an uncomfortable situation for the cat. It can mean uprooting the animal, and having it wound up back in a shelter waiting on a new owner or possible being put to sleep.
Take the quiz
I’ve provided a link below where you can take the Purina Quiz so you can father analyze your considering owing a cat. It will only take a few moments, but those few moments will be worth your time. I’m certain a cat awaiting a new home will appreciate it also!
Purina Quiz Link