Man has had an unanswered question in his mind for ages; “How do I make her happy?” It isn’t that women are so purposefully complicated; it’s just that man is so naturally confused. We just don’t know what to do or when we are supposed to do it. This holds true in so many situations; buying gifts is one of them.
A list of the best gifts to get a girlfriend would be different for the different ages and stages of the girl and of the relationship. I will propose a list of ten gifts that should hold true for all ages and most levels of your relationship. Where the gift isn’t universal, I will be sure to tell you so.
10) Candy: Safe and non-committal would be a good box of selected chocolates. Most women have this unexplainable “Chocolate Urge” anyway. Pick out a good brand and a sizeable box. If all you are getting her is candy, make it a big one. Stay away from strictly creams; they like toffee, caramel, some nuts and a few fruits. You may have to spend a little bit extra but it will be worth it.
9) Electronic Book: All the rage now is the tablet you can load books into and read at your leisure. I won’t cite brands but with some of them you can load hundreds of books. Most of them would fit easily into a purse and your woman could take it around with her. She could be reading several books at a time and only have to carry the one apparatus. Most women like to read and this would help her satisfy her urge. It would be a good idea to research to find out what her favorite books are and have one or two of them pre-loaded before you give her this gift.
8) Sweater: Another safe, but not necessarily cheap, gift would be a really nice sweater. You will have to find out her size, style and favorite color but that shouldn’t be difficult. What you have to make sure of is that the sweater is quality. By that I mean you may even consider springing for a cashmere sweater. She will love it, it shows your interest in her and it is a practical, long lasting gift. Every time she wears it, she will think of you.
7) Perfume: Still staying pretty safe is a perfume set. Most department stores sell them. They can come with a splash on, a spray on and sometimes even a cream. Whatever you do make sure your selection includes a spray on. This is usually the preferred dispensing method. More research; if you haven’t figured out her favorite aroma by being with her, then you will have to find out without coming right out and asking her. Whatever you do, don’t just get her a perfume set simply because it is on sale or you get a neat premium with it. Make sure she likes the aroma first.
6) Gift Certificate: Sometimes the man in you just has to come out. No matter how many lists you read you still have that great big question mark in your mind. Hopefully you know enough about your girlfriend to know what stores she likes best to shop in. If you do, that is the store you target. Go get her a gift certificate. You are showing very little creativity but you are also being very safe and are giving her something she can absolutely use, and probably will.
5) Jewelry: Always a good bet but always a careful choice. You can get her earrings, necklaces, pins or bracelets, but don’t you dare get her a ring, unless you mean it. The other jewelry can be either diamond or her birthstone. Don’t just get her a set of earrings made out of some unknown stone because they are on sale. Make them mean something. If you are buying her a birthday present then hopefully you already know her birthday and the stone. If not, then ask the clerk what the stone is for that date.
4) Diamond: The absolute best present you could get her, if you are serious and you both know it, is a diamond ring. Diamond ring appears only at my number 4 because I don’t know if your relationship is here yet or not. A birthday or Christmas is the perfect date for springing the question. You don’t just give her a diamond ring though. You substitute a cheaper friendship ring. Add a little note that says something like “We have an appointment at (wherever) to look at rings this (whenever). Guys usually lean toward the surprise effect. Women want to know what their ring is going to be though. They are going to wear it for the rest of their life (hopefully). Let her know you want her to have a key part in selecting the ring. Do not do it on your own; you’ll just end up taking it back.
3) Photo Collage: A very pleasant, albeit economical, gift is a photo collage. Hopefully you have taken photos throughout your relationship. Gather copies of the photos you have available. Make them represent milestones in your relationship. Write a cute little caption for each one of them. Now put together a scrapbook of photos of your meeting, the courtship, and the continued relationship. With this one you are showing her how much you remember, how much you care and how much this relationship really means to you. She will love it and will look at it day after day.
2) Weekend Away: If your relationship is to the point where you have spent overnight time together and she is ready to continue to do so, then you could suggest a full weekend away at her favorite destination. Unlike the diamond ring, you can surprise her with this one. Be careful and sensible though. I don’t care how much she seems to like going to the football game with you, don’t get her a weekend at the Super Bowl. It doesn’t matter how great the seats are, get her a weekend some place that is more special to her than it is to you.
1) Her Time: That’s right, even better than the weekend away is the promise to be with her and do whatever it is she would most like to do. Be ready guys to stand behind this one; petting zoo, dress shopping, museum, chick flick. It doesn’t matter, give her Carte Blanch for the entire day. You will be there each and every moment, and you will enjoy it. Let her have her fun and you have fun right along with her. Seal the day with a really nice dinner out at her favorite restaurant and you will have scored big for a long time. Don’t be surprised if she asks you for another day sometime soon though; birthday or not.
So many more things you could do for her, but this list should give you somewhat of an idea. One of the most important things to remember though is to research her. Know who your girlfriend is and what she likes and doesn’t like. With that information you should have no problems whatsoever.