This day in age, gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and some type of rice, can be damaging to the intestines! It makes eating a little less enjoyable at times, unless you know how to adapt and create recipes that don’t cause you to miss out on good tasting food. I have Celiac Disease, and it hurt me tremendously when I was diagnosed. The thought of life without pizza! Life without Subway and most of all, life without so many breakfast and brunch foods!
I learned that I can still have the same foods. There are lots of gluten free ingredients out there, I can still enjoy all my favorite foods, without sacrificing good taste! If you have this disorder, you are NOT alone! I am with you, and if I have adapted, I have no doubt in my mind, you can adapt too!
Whether you are choosing to be gluten free for a healthier you, or because the doctor ordered you to, there are still delicious meals you can enjoy! You don’t have to miss brunch, just adapt brunch! Below is a recipe I love, with my very own spin on it. I love bacon! If you are like me, then you love bacon too! So let’s throw some in our spinach quiche!
For starters, you will need the following ingredients:
1 tbs olive oil
1 red onion, chopped or diced
10 ounces of fresh spinach (you may used packaged frozen spinach)
5 eggs or the equivalent amount of egg beaters (for those really watching their health)
1 cup mozzarella cheese shreds
6 slices of cooked, crushed bacon
pepper & salt to taste Directions:
- Go ahead and preheat the ol’ oven to 350
- Grease 9 inch pie pan with bacon grease to prevent sticking
- Heat oil in skillet over medium to high heat, add onion and bacon, saute until onion is soft and golden brown
- Add spinach; cook until moisture evaporates. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and add mozzarella
- Stir egg-cheese mix into onion-bacon-spinach mix
- Pour into pie pan, evenly
- Bake until top is browned and tester and tester comes out nice and clean!
There you have it. A wonderful tasty brunch. Other than the bacon, its not too bad for you! If you choose to, you can leave the bacon out. But come on! Bacon is the best food ever!