Some of us hit the gym everyday and have a healthy workout routine going. Others hate to exercise and never give working out a thought. I fall into the – I love to exercise but can never organize my time well enough to actually hit the gym category.
Well I know that keeping my heart pumping and getting enough exercise is important. I want to be healthy especially as I age. But I can never find the time to get to the gym. I will get into a work out groove and then somehow fall off. But I found some things that I can do in order to keep my body working. These simple things are not necessarily replacements for working out, but will help you from becoming a couch potato.
10 Easy things you can do to help stay active and healthy
- Park your car at the back of the parking lot. Even if there are spaces available up front, I always try to park far away. I know that I am constantly stopping at the store and getting in and out. It may not be a big walk, but every bit counts.
- Mow the lawn and garden yourself. Sitting lawnmowers do NOT count. Not only is mowing great exercise, you will also save money on lawn care.
- Go swimming in the summer. Swimming is fun and it is great exercise. Actually it is one of the best exercises! It is a great family activity as well.
- Play the Wii with your kids. I will admit, some of those games really get my heart pumping. Again you are also spending quality time with the children. It’s a win win.
- Go dancing. If you and your spouse or friends want to go out for the evening include some dancing. I know when I was young I went dancing all the time. The next day my body was always sore. I know I was getting some good exercise!
- Take a walk on your lunch break. It may not be possible at all places but go outside during lunch and walk a little. Especially if you sit at a desk all day. I will sometimes eat while I work so at lunch time I can actually use my time for something else.
- Take the stairs. I know hitting the elevator button is much easier but opt for the stairs. Even if you work on the 50th floor, walk 10 flights and then catch the elevator if 50 flights is too much for you.
- Walk on the beach. In the evening my daughter and I will sometimes go to the beach and look for seashells. It is something we both enjoy doing and we are getting exercise while doing it. Sometimes we do not realize how far we walked until the walk back when our legs are killing us!
- Go to the mall or Flea-market. Malls and Flea-markets are big – hence a lot of walking.
- Lastly take up a real sport like tennis or racket ball as a social thing. Get family or friends to join you. Having some friendly competition is fun and though you know you are exercising, it will be something that you want to do, not feel like you have to do.
The important thing to remember is that we want to keep active. These are simple things that we can do daily to make sure that happens. Your goal does not have to be to become a size 0 but to be the healthiest you can be.