This is my recipe for German chocolate cake. I don’t like coconut, so I never tried a bite German chocolate cake because I knew it had coconut flakes on it. But once someone convinced me to try it one day, I realized that the coconut made this cake taste fantastic. So I had to learn how to make this cake. So this is the recipe I came up with. I hope your family enjoys as much as mine does. Happy eating!
- 6 ounces of chopped up German chocolate
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 2/3 cups of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 3 1/3 cups of flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of chopped up pecans
- 1/2 cup of flaked coconut
- 1 can (or 12 ounces) of evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons of corn starch
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray your cake pan with a non stick cooking spray and set aside for later use.
- Place 6 ounces of chopped up German chocolate and add your 1/2 cup of boiling water.
- Stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Add in your 1 cup of plain yogurt, 2/3 cup of vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and your 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract. Mix or 3 minutes or until well combined.
- Add in your 4 egg whites and mix for 4 minutes or until nice and smooth.
- Set this bowl to the side.
- In a separate bowl, combine your 3 1/3 cups of flour, 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons of baking soda and your 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add in your chocolate mixture that you have set aside. Mix for 6 minutes or until its well combined.
- Pour your cake batter into your prepared cake pans.
- Tap your cake pan on the counter a few times to get rid of any air bubbles it may have.
- Bake for 35 minutes for until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Place your 1/2 cup of chopped up pecans and 1/2 cup of flaked coconut on a baking sheet and place in your oven for 10 minutes to toast them. Flip them once after 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, combine 1 can of evaporate milk and 3 tablespoons of corn starch.
- Stir constantly for 4 minutes until it becomes thick and foamy.
- Add in 1 cup of brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until it becomes thick.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, add in your pecans and coconut that you have set aside and stir well.
- Place frosting on top of your cake.
- Cut, serve and enjoy.