If you are going to make some improvements on your home, it is imperative that you know the rules and requirements in your state. If you chose to go ahead and hire someone for your work, check his license status. In Florida, you can check online with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) to make sure your contractor is licensed.
Here are a few small construction jobs that require a licensed contractor in the state of Florida:
- New roof
- Replace hot water heater
- Install air unit
- Build a detached garage
- Any home remodeling that require replacing or altering a load bearing wall
This is just a small list, but checking the website of your state can give you a comprehensive list. If you are definitely going DIY in Florida, here are some jobs you can legally do on your own without a licensed contractor.
- Install walkways to/from the driveway
- Add any water filters
- Clean swimming pool
- Install an above the ground swimming pool
- Install wood flooring
- Install or replace drywall that needs to electrical or plumbing adjustments
- Painting your house
- Install removable window and porch awnings
Each state is different, so check the government link to be directly to universal and state rules concerning remodeling, adding on, or merely spiffing up your property.