If you don’t wear green on St. Patrick’s Day, chances are someone will try to pinch you. How wearing green became traditional is unclear, but some say that it’s because wearing green makes you invisible to leprechauns. Why you get pinched if you aren’t wearing green seems to have no real meaning other than an excuse to pinch people.
So whether you just want to sport a bit of the color or go all out, here are a few ideas for how to wear green on St. Patrick’s day.
1. Green hair. There are a number of temporary spray-in colors that you can add to pieces of your hair or the whole head. On very light or porous hair these can stain, so beware, but on most heads of hair they will wash right out. There are also temporary colors that come in gel form. These are very opaque, and tend to be a firm hold, so they work well for short and even spiky hair styles. These will also wash out with the next shampoo and carry less risk of staining than the spray-in option. If you are feeling especially adventurous you can have actual green hair color added at the salon. Usually the hair needs to be pre-lightened and the color will fade pretty quickly. There is the most danger of staining with this type of color.
2. Scarves. If you don’t own anything green and don’t want to invest a lot of money in a new piece, a scarf can be a great way to add the color. Scarves are so popular right now and they are available at a good price and in a lot of different styles.
3. Jewelry. Jewelry is also a low-cost and easy way to add some green into your St. Patrick’s Day wardrobe. From cheap costume jewelry to beautiful emeralds, the options are limitless. You may have to point out the accessory to would-be pinchers.
4. Nail polish. Whether you polish your own digits or head to the nail salon for some holiday-themed designs, nail polish is another great way to add some green to your outfit. If you don’t have a steady hand you could try nail stickers, which simulate polish on your nails with much less fuss.
5. Socks. Socks are an easy way for even the biggest party-pooper to add a little festivity to their St. Patrick’s Day wardrobe. Holiday-themed socks are cheap and readily available, and they can be added to virtually any outfit.
Any of these ideas are guaranteed to give you a pinch-free St. Patrick’s Day!