Uneven skin tone is an issue many women are plagued with, from freckles, to age spots. Skin care is a multi-billion dollar industry, but many products either don’t deliver, or are full of chemicals. So what is a natural-loving girl to do? Here are five natural remedies to even out that skin tone.
1. Protect your skin. The sun is the most major factor in skin damage and hyper pigmentation. Avoiding excessive sun and protecting yourself with sunscreen is a no-brainer, but many sunscreens contain harsh chemicals. There are several natural products that provide SPF protection, without the serving of phyto-chemicals. Raspberry seed oil is estimated to have a natural SPF of 30-50! Paired with some organic coconut oil (SPF 4-10) or shea butter (SPF 6-10) you have a highly effective, natural sunscreen.
2. Use a bronzer. Bronzing powder can not only warm up your complexion, it can also make it look more even. And, you guessed it, you can make your own natural, chemical free version. Mix 1 t cocoa powder, 1 t nutmeg, and 2 t of corn starch together. You can adjust the ratios to suit your skin tone. Make a small batch and keep it sealed in a container to avoid contamination. Use a fluffy brush to brush it along the cheeks, forehead, and anywhere the sun would naturally leave a warm glow.
3. Dab some lemon juice on pigmented spots. There are plenty of spot-lightening products on the market, but most of the ingredients are un-pronounceable. A little lemon juice on a cotton ball dabbed on the spots works as a natural lightener. Lemon juice may lighten freckles, but probably not as well as age spots. Lemon juice is also great for any breakouts or scars that may be on your face too. I have used lemon juice to successfully lighten the freckles on my face, although it has not completely eliminated them.
4. Essential Oils. There are several Young Living essential oils that will help to remove spots, and even skin tone. Australian Blue Cypress can be applied directly to the affected area. Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, and Lavender mixed together and applied to the affected area 2-3 times a day has also been shown to reduce spots. Young Living has an all-natural line of skin care called A.R.T. which has DNA recovery enzymes and an anti-aging peptide, and of course, essential oils, that also has lightened uneven skin for users.
5. Use a Dairy or Fruit Mask. The lactic acid in dairy, and the enzymes in fruit, will effectively exfoliate the skin making freckles and spots appear lighter. Sour cream and buttermilk are popular options for topically applying to the face. While mashing any vegetables like strawberries, apricots and kiwi together and applying to your face may help to lighten freckles, eating the fruit will help too. Vitamin C consumption has shown some results in lightening freckles.