So you’ve been married for over a decade….maybe two and you feel like that you have already done everything that there is to do in a marriage that has already produced some great results. You have the cute kids, the nice house, the nice job, trophy husband/wife, and you get along with the in laws just fine. But, what is there to look forward to with your significant other? The answer is simple. Endless possibilities! There is nothing more blissful other than more bliss.
I know many of you out there may be thinking that sex has to be a number one priority to keep things rocking. But, that’s just something that is made up through television and let’s face it. Anyone over 40 isn’t looking to have endless amounts of sex day in and day out. The reality is most men only last an average of about 7 minutes at a time. But that’s another article for another time. What I am going to give you will be classic and doesn’t cost a ton of money to do as you embark on your quest for immortal bliss.
1. Create a date night: How often? The frequency? This is something that the two of you can agree on when the time comes. I know that there are some out there who are thinking that the wallet has to be laid out and there has to be massive shells of money going to some fancy restaurant. Wrong. My wife and I go out on Tuesday nights to see check out $5 movies in the theater and walk to this awesome yogurt shop that is nearby. So it’s up to you if you want to go every week or as little as once a month. Put in on the calendar and make sure that you make every excuse for that date night to happen.
2. Workout together: I know it’s not as exciting as sex, but chances are you will last a lot longer anyway. There is nothing more intimate than creating physical health between the two of you. Not only is this healthy, but you two get to look better at the same time Now who doesn’t want to look good when they go out in the nice outfit. But what about the kids? If there happens to be children within the household there is nothing wrong with going for an early morning walk or run in the neighborhood early in the morning to get the day started. Not only will the two of you feel more productive, but you two will feel good all day long and the stress that used to bog you down will only be an afterthought. That way your conversations will be so much more better in tone and last a lot longer. Now if you are looking for more physical intimacy…this can help in ways that you wouldn’t believe!
3. Take a vacation: I know the first thing that you may think of is that vacations today cost way too much money. True, but this vacation doesn’t have to be anywhere except in your own hometown. Something that I used to do was tell my wife to pack up her things on the weekend and she would ask me where we were headed and she always loved surprises. So we would go to the major shopping center in town and get a nearby hotel on a busy retail weekend. With this plan there was no strategy involved, low gas mileage, and we were close to home in case something happened. This really changed the pace of the week and made it refreshing to come home on Sunday afternoon. This helped with the feeling of the weekend going by “too fast”.
4. Groupon something new: I can’t tell you how much money I have been able to save with Groupon over the last year and this year will not be any different. If you are into eating somewhere that you have never eaten before try finding it on Groupon first. Businesses are always popping up somewhere and there is nothing better than enjoying a meal together that you both have never experienced before.
5. Doing household chores together: Some will say the man is supposed to do this and woman is supposed to do that. Something to think about is who in the heck invented that rule? In most cases it will turn into an excuse for the one that really doesn’t want to do the chore to turn it onto the other. Offering a helping hand not only show that you care, but will also create a sense of teamwork that usually goes fading away after some time. This not only gets the house cleaned faster it gives both of you the opportunity to have your input on the way things should be done….collectively.
I know that some of you are disappointed with sex not being in there, but the reality is when all of these things are taken care of the end result is that physical intimacy will sky rocket in lieu of these great contributions that you are putting into your marriage. But, hey don’t take my word for it. Try it and let me know what you come up with!