How many of us give up nuts, fruits and many of our favorites because our bodies do not respond favorably? We stop going out if we are allergic to dust and noise. We don’t inhale flower fragrances because of pollens. And we end up missing a lot! Not really, if we know some of the myths about allergies.
1. Allergies may develop over time – If you are not allergic to an ingredient or thing now, you may still be averse to it in any form -inhale, touch, eat – after twenty years. Doctors can diagnose if you get sudden skin rashes or vomiting after consuming an item like eggplant that you used to be ok with till now.
2. Allergies do not trigger at all times – People who have dust allergy may not always get the sneezes or nasal problems when they are spending time in dusty areas. You can bear and control the allergies till they cross the threshold.
3. The myth of peanut allergies – It is still unknown why the rate of peanut allergies in the world has doubled over the last decade. Peanuts have been found to be harmless. The processing techniques like dry-roasting or hygiene can only be blamed. Or have we become over-resistant in the present highly sterile world to treat peanuts as foreign bacteria?
4. 90% of food allergies are caused by eight foods – milk, peanuts, soy, eggs, fish, shellfish, treenuts and wheat. We overcome allergies as we grow but some of them have more reactive tendencies than others. Our immunization system needs more work before it can outgrow all allergies!
5. Allergies are not conquered by ‘nothing’ – No dirt, no dust, no bacteria, no food, no nuts, no fruits…that’s not the solution. Some bacteria are necessary for our bodies to build immune systems. Pollens are the most common carriers of allergens and hence keeping away from pollens is recommended. Doctors advise us to eat within limits any products that we are allergic to.