When I was a young girl, my mom and I would go to the mall and buy something for my dad for Father’s Day like socks, underwear, or cologne. The thing is, many families today do not have the time and or the income to do that. The good news is, with creative sites like Pinterest so readily available to us, we can now make beautiful, thoughtful and inexpensive gifts, for the men in our lives we love the most. So without further ado, here are a few of my suggestions…
1. I have a friend, Traci, who’s husband travels quite frequently. Recently, she purchased a travel mug at her local Dollar store that you can customize. She traced the shape of the state they live in, and where their hometown is located, she cute a heart-shaped picture of her three children out, and pasted it there. Then she drew whimsical dotted lines to all of the areas within the state he travels to. Connecting to a heart in each area.
At the bottom she had her oldest son write, “No Matter Where You Are, You Always Carry Us With You.” Then she put “Love,” and had each child sign their name. I thought that was so sweet and her husband loved it. Only cost was $1.00.
2. Recently my step-daughter, Angel, gave my husband the most thoughtful gift. She purchased an 11×20 frame and put and 8×10 picture of her and our grand-daughter at the center. Then, starting in the upper left-hand corner, she placed pictures of her from birth, through her life, and then transitioning into our grand-daughter’s life. She then printed out, in a lovely font, “Your thumb print has marked my life, and is the legacy I pass on to her…”. He actually wept when he opened it. The frame was $3.00 at WalMart and the pictures she used from ones she had on hand.
3. Men are known as the kings of the grill. How fun would it be to get your kids in the kitchen and make some homemade BBQ and/or Steak Sauce! Put is in a mason jar, let the kids decorate a cute tag, and let this become a family tradition and recipe! Men love tradition and legacy, and this is a tasty place to begin.
4. Something really special, that we do in our family, is what is called a memory jar. This would be neat for a new dad especially. You simple purchase a large jar. It can have a design, you can modge podge photos such as ultrasounds on it, what ever you like. Then, you place a note pad and pen along with a few special memories from each child. If they are older, have them share with you a special memory about dad. As time goes by, you can add to these jars, and whenever you need a little something special, you can go to the jar, take out a piece of paper, and live that memory all over again.
5. One last suggestion. I like this one because it can be as simple as paper and crayons, or, with the help of sites such as Shutterfly, you can make a book of your child’s art work, photo’s throughout their lives, quotes of ways you have impacted them, etc. This is something that you can have forever to look back on.
So if your wallet is tight this Father’s Day how about giving these unique, and inexpensive ideas a try. I know the special man in your life is sure to LOVE them!