If you’re always fighting a mental battle to get yourself to the gym or just can’t seem to stick with a gym routine long enough to make any progress, take a step back to change your approach. Going to the gym can easily be part of your weekly routine if you change your mindset and look forward to the benefits of that next sweat session. Making some simple changes to your daily routine can help you stay motivated to keep working out and also make it easier to stay on a healthy track for the long-run.
Here are five ways to help you get to the gym week after week:
1. Organize your workout clothes. Prepare for the week by setting aside your workout clothes for the entire week. You’ll find it much easier to go to the gym on even the busiest of days when you already have your gym gear ready to go. Put your gym outfit in a visible location so that you can just change into your workout gear without having to raid your closet – and giving yourself a reason not to go.
2. Pack your gym bag the night before. If you plan to hit the gym first thing in the morning or right after work, make sure you have a water bottle, towels, and other gym essentials packed in your gym bag the night before. This will make it that much easier to just grab that bag and go.
3. Ask a friend to join you. You’ll be much less likely to skip that much-needed workout when someone is waiting for you. Make a gym date with a friend, coworker, or family member so that you have at least one person holding you accountable. Make it a weekly get-together or enlist a workout buddy with similar goals so that you can keep each other on track.
4. Remind yourself how you’ll feel after your workout. That post-workout endorphin buzz can be enough to turn a stressful day into a more manageable one. Remind yourself of the benefits of that workout routine – how good you’ll feel and how much stronger you’ll be – and you may just find yourself sticking with that gym habit for good.
5. Set up a rewards system. If you’re just getting started with a new workout program or you need some motivation to stick with an existing one, set yourself up with some type of rewards system so that you can keep working towards your goals. This could be something as simple as buying yourself some new workout gear after completing a 30-day program or treating yourself to a fitness vacation after you reach a milestone. Figure out what types of rewards you’re willing to work for and remind yourself of these incentives as you keep logging in gym time week after week.