Spring cleaning brings images of window washing and cleaning out closets, but what about your vehicle? If your car is anything like mine, winter has left it with little rocks on the floorboards and muddy scuffs everywhere. Here are five tips to help you spring clean your vehicle!
1. Start with two garbage bags. Bring two garbage bags out to your car, one for things to throw away, and one for things you want to keep, but don’t belong in your vehicle. Don’t forget your trunk! And make sure to move your seats all the way forward and all the way back so you don’t miss and debris hiding underneath.
2. Clean the inside of your windows. The inside of car windows seems to get hazy and dirty even when nothing is touching them. Try cleaning them with some vinegar and wiping them with a newspaper for a streak-free finish.
3. Cleaning the dashboard and interior. A damp microfiber cloth will remove most dust and scuffs from your interior, and a little vinegar will clean off the displays like the speedometer and radio. If you have any stains, even grease or oil, Genesis 950 is a great cleaner. Don’t forget to wipe down the center console and organize the contents. Cupholders can be a catch-all for crumbs and stickiness, so don’t forget to clean those as well. A Swiffer duster works great for cleaning out vents and other hard-to-reach areas.
4. Vacuuming. To vacuum the interior I would recommend going to a car wash. Most personal vacuums and even shop vacs can’t come close to the power of a car wash vacuum. Bring plenty of quarters, and don’t forget to vacuum out your trunk as well. If my floorboard mats are especially dirty I will spray them clean in a manual car wash bay while I am there.
5. Plan ahead. Once the interior of you car is clean, put a bag or small bin in the car to place future garbage. There are a few emergency items that you should always carry in your vehicle, like jumper cables or an emergency kit, so organize them in a bin so they aren’t rolling all over your trunk. Your glove compartment is another area that can get messy quickly, so go through the contents, and discard anything that doesn’t need to be there. This is a great time to ensure that you have up to date insurance and registration information in your vehicle as well.
You will enjoy driving in the beautiful weather so much more in a nice, clean vehicle!