A few months ago, my husband watched a documentary about doing a juice cleanse, and he convinced me that we should try it. I thought I knew the basics of juicing, but even I was surprised by what I learned.
1. Doing a juice cleanse is expensive. I spent almost $100 for fruits and vegetables for my husband and me to do a juice cleanse for just three days. I knew that fresh fruits and veggies were expensive, but I was shocked at just how expensive when that is the only food you are eating. We typically supplement our normal diet with frozen fruits and veggies, which are far more economical, but not usable for juicing.
2. After a while, you just want to chew something. I was surprised at how quickly I got sick of drinking my meals. After about eight hours, I wasn’t sick of fruits and vegetables, but I was very sick of drinking them. I could have given just about anything to bite into a crisp apple.
3. Juicing wastes a lot of the fruit. I was shocked at how much pulp was left over after we ran fruits and vegetables through the juicer. Some people use the pulp in muffins or other recipes, but an extraordinary amount just gets tossed. That also means that when you are consuming juice, you aren’t getting most of the fiber in the fruits and vegetables.
4. Juicing can be very high calorie. The main advantage of juicing is that you get concentrated nutrients from a lot of fruits and vegetables in a much smaller serving. That also means that you are concentrating calories and sugars. Fruit is the main offender in this category because it has so much more natural sugars than most vegetables.
5. A juice cleanse requires a lot of preparation. When you are juicing for all of your meals, it requires a lot of planning ahead. You need to plan in advance what recipes you will be using so you can have all of the fruits and vegetables on hand that you will need. You also need to make sure you have enough time in the morning to make your juice, and to make additional juice for subsequent meals when you won’t be near your juicer. You also need to allot extra time in the morning to clean the juicer.
At the end of my juice cleanse I had lost a few pounds, and I felt really energized, but it was a huge relief to go back to a regular diet.