When it comes to green spring cleaning, less is usually more. This not only makes your job easier, but it costs less and is better for the environment, your health, and the health of your family. So how do you get started? These five products will prove useful as you make the switch from regular to green spring cleaning.
1. Vinegar. Both distilled white vinegar and apple cider vinegar (ACV) work great as cleaning tools. I use ACV as a rinse aid in the dishwasher. The white variety can be used to make your own window cleaner, fruit and vegetable wash, and more. You will definitely want to stock up on vinegar for your green spring cleaning needs.
2. Baking soda. Not only is it inexpensive, but baking soda works great as a household cleaner. It removes odors from the refrigerator and garbage can, and you can sprinkle it onto carpeting to help freshen it up before vacuuming. Baking soda also makes a great scrub for stoves, ovens, and even in the bathroom.
3. Liquid castile soap. Many people love Dr. Bronner’s castile soap, not only for its multiple uses, but because it is made with safe, non-toxic ingredients. When it comes to green spring cleaning, this liquid castile soap can be used for the following and more: hand-washing dishes, window cleaner, and cleaning most hard surfaces.
4. Microfiber cloths. These handy little cloths can be used many different ways: washing windows, countertops, dusting shelves, and so on. They have tiny fibers that attract dust and dirt for a deeper clean, and they do not require the use of cleaning products – some microfiber cloths could even be damaged if they come into contact with chemical cleaners.
5. Spray bottle. You might want several if you plan on mixing up various homemade cleaning products, such as window cleaner, bathroom disinfectant, and an all-purpose spray. If you are going to use essential oils in your cleaning products, it would be best to buy some glass bottles, since essential oils can have a chemical reaction with plastic. An empty glass ACV bottle works great when fitted with a spray nozzle.
More from Tonya:
Green spring cleaning tips for fresh indoor air
Spring cleaning with Dr. Bronner’s castile soap
5 Recipes for green cleaners