It’s no secret that most of us, at some point in our lives, have suffered from heartburn that doesn’t seem to want to go away, no matter how hard we try to rid of it. But instead of going out and buying expensive OTC medicine to try and soothe that burning sensation in the pit of your throat, why not look around your kitchen for remedies to stop it? You’d be surprised to know that a lot of the natural homemade remedies to stop heartburn, is actually within arms reach.
- Baking soda and apple cider vinegar: This old wives’ tales will tell you the best way to beat heartburn is with a little baking soda. Mix 1/4 tsp of baking soda and 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in water to relieve heartburn.This is taken two to three times a day on an empty stomach for no more than five days. Or if you aren’t a fan of vinegar, you can mix a little baking soda in with water and drink it straight.
- Chewing gum or sucking on a hard piece of candy: When I was a little girl, I always remembered my nana chewing gum or sucking on a piece of hard candy to soothe her heartburn. The excessive saliva helps neutralize the acid reflex, in return, giving you some peace at mind.
- Cumin: Cumin aids in digestion and can help with heartburn when it is added to foods. Cooked or raw ginger is also a home remedy for heartburn.
- Honey: Yes, the honey the bees collect for their precious Queen. Honey is also a natural remedy to repair damaged tissue. Eat at least 3 tbsp of honey during the day and make sure to have a tablespoon of honey right before bed to get healing benefits through the night.
- Milk: Milk is wonderful for neutralizing acid and anything too spicy. Drinking a large glass of chilled milk can be a simple solution for heartburn on rare occasions.
But of course, if you are experiencing heartburn on a regular basis, it’s probably your body’s way of telling you to go to the doctor. I’ve heard a lot of people say that Aloe juice helps, but if you’re anything like me, you never have it in your house, let alone even know what it is or looks like. Give these homemade remedies a shot and I guarantee you, you’ll get some relief until you can get to the doctor.