At some point in our lives, we have had earaches. And anyone who has had them before, know how painful and distracting it can be. But if OTC medicine doesn’t help and for whatever reason it may be you can’t get to the doctor, here are five homemade remedies for earaches.
- Olive Oil: Believe it or not, olive oil isn’t just for cooking with. A few drops of olive oil in the ear will instantly help to ease the pain. You can even warm up the oil a little, by placing it in a small bowl of hot water or even running it under hot water. After applying it to one ear, wait for about 10 minutes before applying to the other ear. You don’t want to make it too hot, or you could burn yourself. But that’s just common sense.
- Heat: This is a great way to relive the pain of an earache. Place a towel over a warm water bottle and hold it to your ear. Or if you don’t have a water bottle, you can create the classic heating sock pad with uncooked rice. Just get a clean sock and put some uncooked rice in it, tie the top and throw into the microwave for about 1-3 minutes and this should also help relieve the pain.
- Onions: Apart from making you cry, onions are also a great way to help with earaches. Some cut the onion in half and put it on the affected ear, while some like to warm it a little and then apply. I’m not sure how great this is or if it works, but I’ve heard a lot of great feedback on onions and earaches. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: If you’re doing a double take, don’t bother. You read that right. Some people use ACV to cure almost anything. From earaches, to ear infections. Just drop a few drops into your ear and leave in for a few minutes before letting it run out.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: This is something I would do as a little girl whenever I got earaches, which wasn’t very often. I still do this whenever I get an earache because, apart from olive oil, I always have this in my house. Drop a few drops in your ear and let it sit for about 1-2 minutes and clean out. If you’re anything like me, you’ll start to feel a little light headed if you leave it in for too long. Make sure to wash it out with warm water and soap after finishing, making sure to get all the peroxide out.
There are many homemade remedies for earaches, as well as OTC medicines. But if you are that type of person who gets earaches frequently, you should consult your doctor about your problem and then he/she will be able to help you go from there in preventing future earaches. Earaches are no fun, and it’s especially not fun if you are a child. If you suspect that your child has an earache, apply a warm bottle or the rice soak to their ear until you can get them to the doctor.