When you think of oregano, chances are you assume it has to do with adding a delicious pop of flavor to a pizza, salad or pasta sauce. But like many herbs in your kitchen, oregano has a plethora of health benefits that make it an essential product to any medicine cabinet. You have many options when it comes to using oregano oil, such as ingesting it or applying it topically. Here are five of the most incredible health benefits of oregano oil.
1) Eliminate Fungus: Funguses such as athletes foot and yeast infections, occur much more often than we would like. On the bright side, oregano oil is a powerful anti-fungal herb that is commonly used to help treat many fungus conditions. Many studies show that this oil was more effective than expensive store-bought treatments, making it more affordable alternative.
2) Clears Sinuses: A simple DIY facial steam of oregano oil can be used to help clear your sinuses during allergy season. The steam will help loosen congestion so you can find relief and breathe more more clearly. Additionally, the oil of oregano will also kill any bacteria that is lingering in your lungs and sinuses to prevent painful illnesses.
3) Digestive Aid: Without healthy digestion, the body will begin to store waste within 25 to 30 feet of the digestive track which can cause constipation, stomach pain and nausea. Oregano oil is known to enhance the digestive process by helping improve the flow of bile through your digestive organs. This will help better your overall health and wellness.
4) Fights Infections: The oil of oregano has shown to be as good as traditional antibiotics when it comes to treating infections. Although little research has been done, a few studies shown that it may be an effective treatment for staphylococcus bacteria. This is great news because this stubborn bacteria is slowly becoming immune to antibiotics.
5) Boost Your Immune System: Whether you’re already suffering from a cold or want to prevent one entirely, consuming oregano oil may help appease the common symptoms of this sickness so you can feel better much faster. The natural antibacterial properties of oregano oil also help to soothe sore throats. Next time you feel a cold or the flu coming on, gargle a mixture of 5-7 drops of oregano oil with a warm glass of water for instant relief.
Derived from the flower and plant or oregano, this oil works very well when used therapeutically. As always, you should also consult a doctor before taking on a new health treatment.