Working in the Tech Support world can be challenging. Most customers today are pretty tech savvy, although there are still those who need help with the most basic “how to” questions.
1. You Must Be Patient – It may seem like common sense to be patient while supporting a device; however, if you have ever tried to teach your grandmother how to set up Wi-Fi you can understand how this can be difficult to accomplish. Patience will get you far in the world of Tech Support.
2. Don’t Tech Speak – One lesson that I learned very quickly is that you can never assume that a customer knows Tech Terms. The best thing to do (especially with acronyms) is to either spell it all out, or substitute the acronym with a more common name.
3. Don’t Be Afraid to Get Yelled At – The hardest part of Tech Support is that you are talking to people who are frustrated and upset. Staying calm and relating to the customer goes a long way. Genuinely feel for the customer by putting yourself in their position then offer a possible resolution and MOST of the time you will end the call with the customer apologizing for taking their frustration out on you.
4. Never Assume A Customer Is Lying – I have seen some weird issues since starting as a Tech Support agent. Sometimes all you can think is that they are not telling the truth (Why is my computer spitting CD’s at me?). Try not to think that way, your tone will reflect your disbelief Instead, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, you never really know what issue is made up and what is real.
5. Make Your Directions Easy To Follow – Nothing is worse than a customer and adviser not being on the same page while directions are given. Explain everything clearly with pauses in-between directions. Another good tip that I have picked up is to explain where everything is located, instead of saying “click start” you can say “click where it says start in the bottom left hand corner.” Your ability to give detailed and clear instructions will definitely pay off when helping out a customer who isn’t as Tech Savvy.
Following these basic steps will ensure that you have a happy customer which is always the most important thing!