As the weather heats up, you may be thinking about getting your bikini body beach-ready, but the idea of dieting makes you groan. Not to fear, eating well and burning fat doesn’t have to mean boring meals. Here are a few of my personal favorites when it comes to fat-burning foods.
1) Green tea: Ever wonder why Asian’s are so skinny? I live in Taiwan, where we drink a lot of green tea. A number of studies have been conducted on the benefits of green tea, and researchers have found that fat burning may be one of them. According to WebMD, green tea contains polyphenols called catechins that stimulate the body into burning calories. So drink up!
2) Coffee: Speaking of drinking, your daily cuppa joe may already be helping you burn fat. Turns out a caffeine boost is also a metabolism boost. According to a study done by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, caffeine significantly increases metabolic rate and fat oxidation, both of which translate into more fat being burned. Do keep in mind though, if you’re filling your coffee full of creams and sugars, they’ll counteract any good the caffeine may do. If you just can’t stand taking your coffee straight though, you may want to try adding the next food on this list.
3) Coconut oil: A number of health benefits have been attributed to coconut oil, and weight loss is one of them. According to a study from the NYU Langone Medical Center, coconut oil contains up to 15% medium-chain triglycerides, which help the body burn fat. A quick Google search will give you a slew of recipes containing coconut oil, you can also cook with it. To enjoy it with your coffee, add one teaspoon emulsified for flavoring and a smooth, creamy texture.
4) Hot peppers: This is probably my favorite thing on this list. I love spicy food. Mexican, Indian, Thai, you name it! Chili peppers contain a compound called capsaicin that gives the peppers their burn. Research shows it may burn fat as well. A Science Daily article reports that scientists at the American Chemical Society discovered capsaicin can alter the proteins found in fat, helping to break them down. This is a great way to add extra flavor and to lose weight, for those of us that like it hot!
5) Salmon: Salmon, like other fatty fish, is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. According to WebMD, these fatty acids can not only boost your metabolism, but also increase the levels of fat-burning enzymes in your body. There have been concerns with the toxin levels found in farmed fish, so to get your salmon fix, make sure you buy wild.