After attending a taping of “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on May 12, 2014, I can tell you about my experience and why this is one of the best shows to see live.
A whole month’s worth of tickets for “The Tonight Show” typically sells out within five minutes. This is the most stressful part of the process. Follow these tips to get the tickets as quick as you can:
- Follow the Fallon Tonight twitter page. This is the official show page, not Jimmy Fallon’s person page. The Twitter feed gives notices in the days before the tickets are posted.
- You’ll know when the tickets are about to be posted when the Showclix calendar disappears and is replaced with a “Online Sales Have Been Temporarily Stopped” message.
- Book two tickets. It’s a lot easier to get two tickets to the show than a larger amount like four tickets.
The day of the show is the time that you will claim your tickets. This is a multi-step process that takes place at the second level of the NBC Experience store. This store is located at the GE building where the show is taped.
Arrive around 2:30 PM. The tickets that you receive are based on the time of the online reservation. I learned this the hard way by trying to wait in line a little too early.
Once you have your ticket, you have to kill some time before the 4:00 call time for ticket holders. The best way to do this is by going to the lower level of the GE Building. There are lot of different shops and restaurants to check out there.
Once you reach the studio, the true fun begins. At first, it’s a great sight to just check out the set and how everything is put together. A montage of Fallon’s funniest clips play on the viewing monitors as all of the rows fill in. After getting the second row, I was able to watch the whole montage, but guests in the back only saw a few minutes of it.
A warm-up comedian then comes out to greet the guests. This was a pretty funny experience that only got you amped up for the show more. Excitement rises even more when The Roots come out and perform a couple of songs.
Unlike Conan, Jimmy does not actually come out until his official introduction for the show.
Tonight Show Taping Incident
The May 12, 2014 show was unique when compared to other shows. During Jimmy’s opening monologue a member of The Roots accidently dropped an instrument on some fuses. Smoke blew out and the taping had to stop.
Instead of going to the back, Fallon decided to hang out with the fans while it got cleaned up. Fallon talked with many fans, made a lot of jokes, and showed that he was a true class act. The best part of the taping ended up being a part that wasn’t even on TV.
The rest of the taping went great and experiencing the laughs in person is even better than on TV. After the six month period passes, I will try my hardest to get tickets and attend a taping again.
- Get as close to an aisle seat as you can. Fallon runs up and down both aisles at the end of every show. It’s the best time to get a high-five or hug
- Attend on your birthday. During the pre-show, guests with a birthday can compete in a mini-game to try and win a “Tonight Show” t-shirt.
- Plan to attend for some of your favorite segments. For example, Fallon always does his “Hashtags” segment on Thursday nights and the “Thank You Notes” on Friday nights.
- There is a strict no cell phone policy in the studio. Simply shut off your phone before you enter to avoid any hassles. It’s also a good idea to snap a picture of your ticket while you’re waiting for the 4:00 PM showtime. You do not get to keep the tickets.
NYC is great, but attending “The Tonight Show” makes it even greater.