There are many elements within the Harry Potter stories that brought it all to life. One of those things are, of course, the characters and the organizations that they became involved in. With all of the fanatics we have of the magical community there are a lot of elements that people don’t know enough about, but want to. Some of these elements are either difficult to comprehend, or too much to even know where to start on beginning to understand. In the stories, there were certain organizations that had a specific cause. Some worked against other organizations, and others worked together. And of course, the characters involved brought something unique to each one of them.
The Order of the Phoenix:
This is an organization that was brought together by those in the magical community to help defend against the dark lord, known as Lord Voldemort. It was first created during Lord Voldemort’s first reign of terror on the magical community, and all before the events in the Philosopher’s Stone (Sorcerer’s Stone in the U.S.version.) Founded by Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, many other upstanding citizens in the magical community were recruited to help defeat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and all of his followers.
When Voldemort’s first reign of terror ended, after murdering Harry’s parents, James and Lily Potter, The Order of the Phoenix disbanded. Many believed that the threat was over, and others thought, at some point, it would return. When Voldemort did return, many years later, The Order reunited with new members to help defeat him, once again. Many of the members were either permanently incapacitated, and others were killed.
- Albus Dumbledore – Headmaster of Hogwarts, and founder of the Order. Known for having extremely long, white hair and beard, and is very tall and thin. He’s also known for being the most powerful wizard there is, and the only wizard to intimidate Lord Voldemort. Dumbledore is very humble and wise and rarely lost his temper, though when he did, it became clear why Voldemort was easily intimidated.
- Severus Snape – Originally a Death Eater, but later joined the Order when Voldemort returned to full power. He acted as a double agent, going back and forth relaying information between the Order, and Voldemort. It eventually became clear that Snape was a good guy, although his personality is very cold and cynical. It was also revealed he had a deep love for Lily Potter, Harry’s mother, and always resented Harry because he reminded him so much of James, Harry’s father.
- Minerva McGonagall – One of the original members of the Order, and is known for being the Deputy Headmistress at Hogwarts. She wears long dark robes, and wears the traditional witch’s hat. She’s stern, but fair, and extremely powerful, which became evident during the end of the series.
- Rubeus Hagrid – A half giant, and is the Game Keeper at Hogwarts. He eventually became the Care of Magical Creatures teacher after his exoneration for being convicted for opening the Chamber of Secrets which resulted in the death of a student back in the 50’s. He can be a bit clumsy, but is extremely gentle and emotional.
- Arabella Figg – Is a squib (someone born to a magical family but possessing no magical talent.) She was recruited by Dumbledore to look out for Harry during his summer stay with the Dursleys’. She was always mean to Harry but regretted it later on, stating that she was only mean because she thought the Dursleys would stop bringing him over to her house if they thought he’d enjoy it. She also came to Harry’s defense when he was about to be convicted for using magic in the presence of a muggle (non-magic person.)
- Mundungus Fletcher – A small time crook, and a reluctant member of the Order. His job was mainly to give Dumbledore news on what was going on in the criminal world, that had anything to do with Voldemort.
- Frank and Alice Longbottom – Parents of Neville Longbottom who were tortured into insanity by Death Eaters, led by Bellatrix Lestrange. They are permanent residents of St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.
- Sirius Black – An original member of the Order who was convicted and sent to Azkaban after the murders of James and Lily Potter. Turns out he was wrongfully convicted, but was always a fugitive. He had no choice but to remain indoors, which he always resented causing him to become reckless. He’s Harry’s godfather.
- Peter Pettigrew – An original member of the Order who eventually became a death eater. It is because of him that James and Lily Potter were found and murdered by Voldemort. For years, everyone thought him to be dead until the return of Sirius Black who told the true story of what happened. He kept himself disguised as a pet rat of Ron Weasley, Harry’s best friend.
- Remis Lupin – A werewolf, who’s constantly regarded as being beneath anyone in the magical community by a lot of pure bloods who look down on others. He was the teacher for Defense Against the Dark Arts for Harry’s third year at Hogwarts. He’s known for having raggedy clothes as a result of his difficulties in getting work because of his lycanthropy.
- James and Lily Potter – Went into hiding once the prophecy was revealed to Voldemort about a child being born with the power to defeat him. Harry was chosen and hunted down. Voldemort killed James for trying to stop him, and killed Lily after giving her a chance to step aside (at Snape’s request.) Lily’s sacrifice is what caused Voldemort’s power to disappear because of the killing spell rebounding onto him.
- Kingsley Shacklebolt – Works at he Ministry of Magic, and is an auror (dark wizard catcher,) and bodyguard for the muggle Prime Minister. He assisted in organizing the members of the Order, and helped defend the school during the battle at Hogwarts. Kingsley had to remain “undercover” giving the impression that he wasn’t on the Order’s side. He certainly came in handy in many ways. He eventually became the new head at the Ministry of Magic.
- Arthur and Molly Weasley – Joined the Order after Voldemort’s return to power. Their home, the Burrow was the second location for the Order’s headquarters after the secrecy of the original location became compromised.
- Nymphadora Tonks – A metamorphmagus (someone who can change their appearance at will, without the use of Polyjuice Potion.) Hates the name “Nymphadora” and so prefers to be called
“Tonks.” She eventually fell in love with Lupin. The two married and had a son, but was later killed during the battle of Hogwarts. Both of them.
- Alastor “MadEye” Moody – One of the most famous aurors, and original member of the Order. He retired but was convinced to come out of retirement to teach at Hogwarts. He was attacked and impersonated by Barty Crouch Jr. Towards the end of the year he was eventually rescued. He’s known for being extremely paranoid with a magical eye that has the ability to see through doors, and through Harry’s invisibility cloak. During his time as an auror, he lost several other body parts, along with his eye, and had to ability to capture dark wizards without killing any of them, unless it became necessary.
This organization was founded by Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The three recruited other students at Hogwarts because of having lack of practical training in Defense Against the Dark Arts, and because of the threat from Voldemort. The name Dumbledore’s Army was chosen by Ginny Weasley as a mockery to the Ministry for Magic for their fear and extreme dislike for Dumbledore.
When Harry went on the run with Ron and Hermione, Neville Longbottom, Ginny Weasley, and Luna Lovegood took control of the organization, and continued to rebel and help students defend themselves against Death Eaters.
- Harry Potter – Founding member, and known as “the boy who lived.” Harry is Voldemort’s main target for assassination because of a prophecy stating that a boy would be born with the power to defeat him. That boy ended up being Harry. He is also known for having the lightning bolt scar on his forehead as a result of Voldemort’s first assassination attempt. Has the ability to talk to snakes, until Voldemort was defeated.
- Ron Weasley – Harry’s sidekick, and best friend. Ron is someone who is lazy, likes to eat, and is always obnoxious to his eventual love interest, Hermione. Like the rest of his family, he has his signature red hair and is always wearing hand-me-downs as a result of his family lacking funds. Ron eventually grew up to be more mature, and helpful in many ways.
- Hermione Granger – Born into a muggle family, she became one of the best witches in the school. She has a lot of book smarts, but lacks know-how in anything that she wasn’t able to read in a book. She’s serious most of the time, and always likes to follows rules, though she breaks them on occasion while helping Harry and Ron.
- Fred and George Weasley – The clowns, and trouble makers of Hogwarts. They like to make jokes, and create merchandise that causes havoc with teachers and other students. They eventually left school to open their own shop called Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes. Fred ended up being killed at the battle of Hogwarts.
- Ginny Weasley – A girl who has a major crush on Harry but grew up mature and ended up spreading her wings. She began dating other boys, but eventually ended up with Harry in the end. She has a strong willpower about her; the only person not intimidated by Harry’s temper, and is able to take over in different situations.
- Luna Lovegood – The quirky, oddball of Hogwarts, known for having a permanent surprised look on her face. She has long blonde hair, and has the ability to tell things about people that would normally be overlooked by everyone else. According to J.K. Rowling, Luna is the “anti-Herminone,” meaning that her knowledge and know-how doesn’t come from books, and she isn’t technical like Hermione either. Her knowledge isn’t based on “common sense,” which often irritates Hermione. Students call her “Luny Lovegood.”
- Neville Longbottom – First came to Hogwarts as clumsy, and having a hard time doing magic. He eventually grew up become better at magic, strong willed, and less intimidated by other students and teachers. Neville could have easily had Harry’s fate, if it were not for Voldemort choosing Harry as his target, simply because the prophecy mentioned a boy equal to him, meaning his target must be a half blood, like himself. Neville is a pure blood.
- Seamus Finnegan – Known for his many explosions, Seamus was a late member of the D.A. because of a temporary fallen out with Harry about so-called lies about Voldemort returning to power. He eventually offered his support and became very helpful.
- Cho Chang – Harry’s first love interest. Her relationship with Harry didn’t last because of her jealousy with his friendship with Hermione. In the films, however, their relationship ended because she betrayed the D.A. by telling Professor Umbridge about their secret meetings. It was later revealed that she had no choice because she was under the influence of Veritaserum, a potion that forces you to tell the truth.
This organization was led by Lord Voldemort, and meant to rid the magical world of muggle-borns, and anyone opposed to them. They love spreading fear, and killing certain citizens and officials, mainly those associated with The Order. Eventually they succeeded in infiltrating the Ministry of Magic, and further used their power to convict or kill anyone who was born into a non-magic family.
The Death Eaters recognize each other by “the dark mark” that is imprinted or branded on their left forearm. Once a member touches it, it’s automatically meant to either call the dark lord, or call all of them together for a meeting. After Voldemort’s downfall, many members pretended they were forced to do his bidding. Other members gladly went to Azkaban prison until he returned.
- Lord Voldemort – Formerly known as Tom Riddle, he was always obsessed with power even as a young boy. He was always intimidating, and has the ability to talk to snakes. He grew up wanting nothing but to be the most powerful wizard of all time, and despises anything that isn’t magic related, including his name, which is why he chose a name that would spark fear in anyone, causing them to be too afraid to say his name. Other names associated with him are “The Dark Lord,” “You Know Who,” and “He Who Must No Be Named.”
- The Malfoys – Draco was recruited as punishment for his father, Lucius’ failed attempt at gaining the prophecy so Voldemort can figure out how to defeat Harry. Lucius was never sent to prison after Voldemort’s first downfall, mainly because it’s possible he claimed he was under a spell. Draco’s mom is also a death eater and managed to keep their family out of prison because of her lie to Voldemort about Harry being dead during the battle of Hogwarts.
- Bellatrix Lestrange – Sister to Draco’s mom, and also related to the Blacks, she is Voldemort’s most loyal follower. She gladly gave up her freedom to go to prison and enthusiastically rejoined him once he regained his power, and murdered her own cousin, Sirius Black. She’s known for her dark curly hair, and weird laugh. She takes pleasure out of torturing others and almost succeeds in killing Ginny Weasley but is ultimately defeated by Molly Weasley.
- Fenrir Greyback – Is a werewolf who takes pleasure out of eating people, and turning them into werewolves, such as Lupin. His main reason for working alongside Voldemort was because he was promised a degree of fairness to his kind, so decided to team up with him to make that happen.
- Igor Karkaroff – Was the headmaster of Durmstrang, the school who came to visit Hogwarts during the Triwizard Tournament. He avoided imprisonment by providing the ministry with names of those who were death eaters, in exchange for his freedom. He was murdered for his betrayal after Voldemort’s rise to power.
- Severus Snape – An original member, but ended up working undercover to help aid the Order. He was eventually killed by Voldemort because of the mistaken idea that the elder wand, Dumbledore’s wand and most powerful wand, belonged to Snape, when really, it belonged to Harry after Harry defeated Draco Malfoy.
- Peter Pettigrew – Considered a coward and betrayed the Order which resulted in the demise of James and Lily Potter. He framed Sirius Black for that murder but was found out once Sirius escaped Azkaban.
There are many more witches and wizards within these three organizations. These are the main ones that everyone loves to know more about, and their reason for doing what they do.