For some people, dealing with the discomfort of dry eyes is an almost daily battle. What works for one person, may not be the best remedy for another. Here are five different everyday remedies that you can try!
1. Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids: Dry eyes can be caused from bodily inflammation and since fatty acids are thought to reduce inflammation, increasing them in your diet could relieve dry eyes. Try eating more fish, eggs, and walnuts to decrease inflammation. Focus on fish that are types of tuna or salmon for the best results. You can also take an over-the-counter supplement of fatty acids if your prefer.
2. Humidify Your Home: Use a humidifier in your home or bedroom at night to help combat the dryness of winter or the particular location in which you live. Keeping some moisture in your house will help to decrease the instances of dry eye flare ups. You may even consider purchasing a table top humidifier to have with you at work if it is possible.
3. Eye Ointment: For me, I prefer using Ointment over drops or artificial tears. Placing a small strip in your eye before bed each night guarantees you wake up with very moist eyes and usually they stay moist all day. I recommend using it at night because ointments can be a little greasy and messy. It also blurs your vision slightly as it coats your cornea. By morning, most of it has dissipated and what is left around your eye is easy to wipe off. I have used Muro 128 for seven years and it works great.
4. Warm Compress: Placing a washcloth that has been soaked in warm water and rung out over your eyes for at least ten minutes a day can provide relief or prevent dry eyes.
5. Natural Herbs or Spices: Turmeric is a well-known anti-inflammatory agent and when added as a spice to foods or raw into a smoothie, it can help to fight dry eyes from the inside out. Other helpful spices include paprika, mint, and certain types of tea. Brewing tea and putting the tea bags on your eyes for five minutes can even help.
When dealing with dry eyes, don’t give up looking for something that will relieve them. There are a lot of remedies to explore!