How much do you really know about taking care of your electrical cords? Of all the everyday items and objects you depend upon to live a comfortably enjoyable life, perhaps none are quite as overlooked as the lowly electrical cord connected to the outlets that serve as miniature power stations. And yet if your lifeline to all the electrical appliances inside your home were severed from use, it would probably take less five minutes before the profanity started and the anger caused your face to flush. You know what they say: the more you know. So here’s more to know about taking care of electrical cords to keep the supply to your television and computer and cell phone and lights and router and DVR and just about everything else in the house in good working order.
Keep your electrical cords and power strips and extension cords away from sources of direct heat. This means everything from places where the sun’s rays score a direct hit for hours at a time to heating system vents built into the floor or placed low on the wall to radiators and space heaters. The heat generated by everything from the sun to a space heater eventually has the effect of weakening the exterior of the electrical cord and damaging the interior insulation.
Ever pick up an electrical extension cord that was almost too hot to hold? Well, that’s something that shouldn’t be. If the extension cord is hot to the touch, it means a heavier load is being placed upon it than was intended. You’ve got two immediate solutions to the problem of an overheating extension cord. First, unplug one of the appliances you’ve tapped into the extension. The problem may simply be that the cord can’t safely transmit all that amperage. If that doesn’t solve the problem, then you seriously need to consider investing in a heavier extension cord to allow it handle that heavy load of electricity.
An electrical cord that is exhibiting clear signs of wear and tear should be replaced as soon as possible. If it’s not reasonable to head out and buy a brand new cord at the moment, you can temporarily get the cord back in working order by tightly wrapping insulating tape around the damaged area. This will allow you to use the cord for the purpose of powering up electrical appliances, but should not be considered a a long-term fix. Get a replacement cord at the earliest opportunity and, of course, unplug the damaged cord from the outlet before wrapping insulating tape around it.
If you have pet that just cannot seem to control its desire to chew on your electrical cords, do some experimentation to find out what kind of scent your pet hates the most. Some animals cannot stand the cinnamon while others find the aroma of onions to be impossible to abide. Locate the scent that your pet hates the most and let that be your guide to the most effective means to deter the animal from chewing on your electrical cords. Placing the source of whatever scent deters your pet should quickly solve your problem of chew marks on your cords.