Lawrence, Kansas is a great place to be on Earth Day. Earth Day events around town bring everyone together in the spirit of community and environmental stewardship. Earth Day activities in Lawrence include a giant, festive parade followed by an Earth Day celebration in South Park, tree plantings, native plant sales, and even green food menus at local eateries. Especially if you are celebrating Earth Day with kids, come to downtown Lawrence, Kansas and join in the tree-hugging fun.
- 4:00-6:00 pm: Get in the mood by visiting Cottin’s Hardware’s weekly Farmer’s Market .
- All Day: Lower your carbon footprint by riding The Lawrence Transit System. All routes will be free on the 19th – so you have no excuse to miss the day’s activities.
- 8:30 am: Lawrence has been named a “Tree City USA” for the 36th consecutive year. To commemorate this achievement, as well as celebrate Earth Day, the city’s Tree Department will plants trees at two different cemeteries. The event will include help from the Boy Scouts and a mayoral proclamation at a City C ommission meeting later in the week.
- 11:00 am: The 14th Annual Earth Day Parade will cruise down Massachusetts Street from Watson Park to South Park. This is an event my family always enjoys. There are funny costumes, decorated vehicles, music, local organizations, and lots of love for Mother Earth.
- 11:30-4:00pm: The Earth Day Celebration in South Park will have something for everyone. My girls enjoy the crafts and getting hugs from the giant river otter. The celebration includes music, informational displays, green goods, services, and foods for sale, and a good introduction to all Lawrence has to offer to its environmentally conscious citizens.
- 11:30 am: The Grassland Heritage Foundation will be at the Celebration in South Park selling native plants. Over 20 varieties will be available for purchase. Planting these species in your garden can help our local ecology tremendously. It will also give your family a fun gardening task to complete on Earth Day Weekend.
- All Day: Join the “Local Dishes for Green Wishes” event by dining at participating restaurants. Green Wish Lawrence is a fundraising coalition that helps fund local environmental initiatives. Four local restaurants will donate a portion of their proceeds to Green Wish on these three days: Merchants Pub and Plate on the 21st and 23rd, Limestone on the 22nd, Pachamama’s on the 24th, and 715 is an ongoing sponsor.