Mother’s Day is a time to celebrate moms by having kids make gifts. For many moms, there is nothing better than receiving a gift made by the hands of the little ones. Gather the kids and help them make Mother’s Day cards using gold foil.
The cards do require some adult or older kid help, but even the youngest kids can get involved. Each card will take over a day to finish, so plan ahead.
What You Need:
1) Fold the cardstock in half to make a card. You can make the card open from the side or the bottom. It’s up to you and the kids.
2) Have the kids draw a picture on the cover of the card using the glue. Tell them to treat the glue like a marker. Make sure they keep the glue slightly off the paper or at an angle on the paper so that they create thick lines of glue. Show them first so they get the idea.
Let the kids draw anything they want on the cover. Even the youngest can make a scribble drawing.
3) Let the card dry for at least 12 hours or overnight. When the glue is completely dry it will look opaque.
4) Cut a piece of gold foil so that it is a little bigger than the cover of the card. For example, cut the foil so it is 1/4 to 1/2 inch bigger than the cover on each side. This just gives you plenty of room to work.
5) Brush glue all over the cover of the card and even over the dried glue design. Make sure to get glue on the corners.
6) Press the gold foil on the cover of the card. Make sure to press down on the corners to make sure the foil stays put.
7) Use the bone folder to press the gold foil down around the glue design. It will indent and the design will look raised. Gold foil is pretty sturdy so it’s OK to press a little hard around the glue to make sure it really stands out.
1) Don’t have a bone folder? Use a credit card, pencil eraser, or the little plastic tabs that fall off milk jugs.
2) You can also use aluminum foil, but make sure to use the thick kind or it will tear easily.
3) You can use this technique for more intricate designs. You aren’t limited to children’s scribbles. An older child could really create a beautiful piece of art for mom by tracing over printed images with the glue.