Cooking daily meals and desserts in cast iron is a must in my family. While there is what we call the regular pots and pans, we prefer the normal cast iron to enjoy family favorites. Try out one or all of our recipes below.
Tools: paring knife, Two bowls, Measuring cups, Spoon, Cast Iron Pot
- 8 apples
- 5 tbs of Honey
- 8 oz Concentrated Orange Juice (thaw if necessary)
- 3/4 C. of slivered nuts – I prefer almonds
- 1 tbs Nutmeg
- Core apple ¾ of the way into the apple.
- Mix nuts and spices, using your finger press into each apple. Sit apples in pot. Blend remaining ingredients and pour over stuffed apples.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 45 minutes. Moisten apples with pan drippings.
- Cast Iron Pot
- Measuring Cups
- Stirring Spoon
- ½ C. of unsalted butter
- 1 ½ C. light brown sugar
- 3/8 C. sugar
- 1 C. Orange Juice
- 5 quarts Sliced Peaches – Fresh or Canned
- 3 C Self-Rising Flour
- 1 C Milk
- 4 Tbs. Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Melt butter In Cast Iron Pot
- Mix Brown Sugar and OJ, Stir occasional while brining to a slow boil.
- Add Peaches (if Canned Drain First), stir and bring back to a slow boil
- Simmer on Low heat for 8 minutes.
- Mix Flour and White sugar in large bowl, add milk, add 4 tbs melted butter and 1 tsp vanilla. Stir mixture until moist.
- Using two Table spoons, Slowly drop mixture by spooning into peach mixture.
- Allow simmering 15-20 minutes or until dumpling are done.
- Cast Iron Pot, Knife, can opener, spoon
- 1 32oz of Swason Chicken Broth
- 1 C. Water
- 8 oz Softened Cream Cheese
- 2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 lb cooked chicken chopped or Shredded
- 6 oz Green Chilies
- 20 Med. Tortilla Shells
- Heat Broth, Water, Soup, Cream cheese and green chilies in Pot, stirring occasionally
- Tear Tortilla’s in pieces 1-2inches and quickly mix into pot.
- Allow to simmer 5-7 minutes
- Serve over White Rice
- 1/4 C Butter
- 1/4 C Diced Onions
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables
- 6 oz mushroom stems and pieces
- 2 cups Raw Rice- Brown is preferred
- 3 C Water
- ½ Tsp Mrs. Dash
- Melt Butter in Pot and sauté onions. Mix in remaining ingredients and bring to a rolling boil.
- Remove, cover and place in Oven to bake for 3o min
- Great as a main dish or a side dish
Fried Mexican Delight
- Cast Iron Pot, Spoon, Serving Bowl
- 1 lb Frozen Corn (Thawed and Drained)
- 1 lb Frozen Green Peppers and Onions (Thawed and Drained)
- 3 tbs Bacon Grease
- ½ Light Cream
- 1 tbs Flour
- 1 C Water
- 3 tbs Butter
- Heat grease on pot,
- Mix corn, pepper mixture, flours sugar, cream and water and add to hot grease, heat thoroughly
- Add butter and stir occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve as a side dish, as a tortilla stuffer or over your rice
Cooking with Cast Iron is a healthy alternative to chemical laced standard pots and pans. Begin your journey today and taste the difference.