If your dad’s like ours, his favorite Father’s Day gift is food–preferably homemade BBQ picnic–and lots of it. But what do you serve dads on diabetic, hypertension, gluten-free, low cholesterol or weight loss diets? Here are sugar-free, low sodium, low fat, gluten-free Father’s Day grill recipes dad will love!
* Sauerkraut and brats. Most dads adore sausage and hot dogs. But sausage and hot dogs don’t love them. So steam natural Al Fresco Chicken Sausage (half the calories and fat and no artificial junk) in fresh sauerkraut. Serve on a light multigrain bun or 35-calorie per slice bread. Plus, kraut is super good for reducing belly fat.
* Grilled chicken salad. Pound boneless, skinless chicken breast to thin fillets. Spritz with non-stick cooking spray. Marinate in Bragg’s Liquid Amino, cracked pepper, sage, celery seed, garlic and dried onion. Cook just till it’s no longer pink (more and it will get dry). Serve over a huge garden veggie salad.
* Souvlaki. Pork? On a diet? Yep–Men’s Health Eat This Not That says pork chops are belly fat burners! (Who knew?) Trim fat from pork loin and cut into cubes or strips. Marinate in lemon juice, oregano, garlic, rosemary and a olive oil non-stick pan spray. Skewer and grill or broil. Season with sumac and my homemade za’atar spice recipe.
* Grilled fish. Try marlin or swordfish. Even fish haters like these as they have the texture of meat and don’t taste fishy. If dad likes fish, enjoy catfish, salmon, Pollock, bass, Marinate as you did souvlaki but substitute dill for rosemary.
* Steaks. So long as it’s lean and eaten in normal portion sizes (four ounces) beef is okay. Avoid chuck and round–choose sizzler and sirloin cuts. Trim fat. Season with garlic, sea salt and black pepper.
* Breaded fish. Normally, diabetic and gluten-intolerant folks can’t have breading. So diabetics, use Japanese panko bread crumbs (crushed saltines or oyster crackers). Gluten-free folks use mushrooms. Scrape gills from portobello mushrooms. Dry and season with salt-free Cajun hot pepper blend or salt-free Spike. Or use my kale chips recipe. Bread pan fish–blue gill, catfish, lake perch, red fish– and grill till crispy.
* Faux burgers. Few men like tofu, whereas beans they love. Swap soy veggie links or burgers for homemade veggie bean burgers using my recipes. Or season cooked winter squash as you did any of the meats or fish, form into patties and broil. Or roast whole portobello mushrooms.
* Kebabs. Make any of the meats or grilled fish into kebabs. Marinate and cut in chunks. Skewer with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini and summer squash chunks.