I have a large yard. During the summer months, I spend a lot of time outside in the garden or going for walks. My two dogs are always by my side. The dogs love to run and chase balls. And well just do what dogs do. I am always concerned that my dogs will become dehydrated especially on hot summer days.
How can you tell if your dog is shown signs of dehydration? Here are some symptoms to look for:
- Loss of appetite, if your dog does not want to eat that is usually a sign that something is wrong.
- Sunken eyes.
- Dry mouth
- Lethargy or the overall look of being weak. A dog who acts ill is most likely not feeling well.
- Depression or the idea that your dog is just not as active or displaying normal behavior.
I Think My Dog Is Dehydrated, Now What?
If your dog is showing signs of dehydration, consult your veterinarian as soon as possible. To be safe, make an appointment and take your dog in that day. There may be reasons why your dog is more at risk than others. For instance, an elderly dog or one that is pregnant or nursing can be more susceptible. Also if your dog is diabetic or has some other illness; these can be more reasons for your dog to get dehydrated easier. Once the veterinarian decides if your dog is dehydrated, intravenous fluids can be administered.
The best way to avoid dehydration in dogs is through prevention. Prevention can not only save you money on vet bills but can also save your dog’s life.
- Have clean water available at all times. I have water bowls in my house but I also have two on my porch as well as small pool filled with water during summer months. I want my dogs to be able to drink clean water when needed.
- Watch how much your dog drinks.
- If you are traveling with your dogs, bring extra water with you. I have a bowl on the back seat floor board that I am able to fill up when needed.
- If you are exercising by walking with your dog, make certain you have a way to provide water for your dog as well as yourself.
- Avoid chaining your dog up outside; the dog can become tangled and not over the water dish. You can also buy a water dish that has a weighted bottom which will help keep the water in the bowl.