I’ve made the decision to join the ranks of those who have decided to give up dairy due to health reason. I know it sounds strange, yet with the research that I’ve done, it’s one of the best decisions that I could make for myself. And here’s why:
According to Dr. Mark Hyman, author of ” Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at all Costs, “
Based on the research and my experience practicing medicine, I typically advise most of my patients to avoid dairy products completely.
To some that may seem drastic, but for many like me who are lactose intolerant, it makes perfect sense. Maybe you can remember the advertising spot “Got Milk,” which might bring a smile to your face when you remember it. However, to someone like me, it’s a reminder that I need to look out for my health and switch to non-dairy products.
How I give up dairy
When it comes to giving up something so common today as dairy, I had to come up with a plan that would be a smooth transition. This is a simple plan that may help those who are lactose intolerant also transition.
- Check my intake of dairy products and determine what needs to be changed.
- Research online to define suitable replacements for the dairy products that need to be replaced.
- Research my local grocery store to determine what will work for me when it comes to replacement products.
- Purchase replacement products and get rid of the current dairy products.
- Monitor how the change affects me and document my progress during the transition.
- Finally, write a blog post to encourage others!
Hopefully these steps will help you transition too from dairy to non-dairy products. My choice of replacements in most cases were Soy or Almond milk products.
What products are available to replace dairy
Good question; it is something that I answered while researching about dairy product replacements. According to Vegan.com , three of the top replacements that you can put in place are:
- Butter : Earth Balance and Soy Garden
- Yogurt : WholeSoy, Wildwood, and Nancy’s
- Milk : Soy, rice, almond, coconut, and even hemp seed milks
To learn more about their “Guide to Dairy-Free Eating” click here .
So, my journey of giving up dairy has brought me comfort in my choice to live a little bit healthier. Choosing to replace dairy products in my home and even when I eat out has made me feel healthier. I will continue this journey with the idea that I’m ever improving my eating choices for healthier living.