This Memorial Day the smell of barbeque will fill the air with so many wonderful aromas. Get for some amazing grilling this year when we celebrate on Monday, May 26, 2014.
No matter what is cooking on the grill you need some side dishes to go along with it, some of these can be cooked on the grill as well. Here are two of my favorite side dishes I like to make any time I am grilling and if we are not using the grill, these can be made in the oven as well.
Grilled Zucchini Boats
- 3 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings, you can use red or white onion
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced into medium thick pieces
- 4 medium sized tomatoes (I use Roma) diced into big chunks
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced or slivered
- Olive oil to drizzle, give a good heavy drizzle
- Dried Italian seasoning, sprinkle a light coating
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Use the heavy duty foil for this. You can make two separate pouches so that it is easier to manage and serve. Spray the foil with non-stick spray as an added measure.
- When the grill is ready put foil pouches on the heat and cook for about 10 minutes, checking them for tenderness that you want.
- When you’re ready to eat, open the foil packet and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, using shredded makes it cheesier but the powder also works just fine.
- 1 pound edamame beans
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1/2 a small red onion slivered
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Sprinkle of dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup of cream
- Salt and pepper
- Use the heavy duty foil for this. You can make two separate pouches so that it is easier to manage and serve. Spray the foil with non-stick spray as an added measure
- When the grill is ready put foil pouches on the heat and cook for about 10 minutes
- Open the pouch and pour in 1/4 cup cream, stir to mix and reseal and cook an additional 10 minutes
- When you open the pouch to serve, sprinkle some dried parsley on top. I like to add a bit of Parmesan powder on top as well.
I would like to thank my nephew for his service to our country and may he rest in peace. Army Pfc. Cory F. Hiltz, died June 28, 2007 serving during operation Iraqi Freedom.