When hosting an outdoor dinner party, it is sometimes difficult to determine what exactly should be on the menu. One easy option to get that party started right is to light up the grill with an easy recipe featuring some heat. It doesn’t hurt that this stuffed pepper recipe will take less than 20 minutes to cook so that the hostess can get back to enjoying socializing with guests. Here is an appetizer recipe to highlight both the barbecue and peppers.
Required ingredients to serve 4 people:
– 20 small sweet peppers
– 2 cups Greek nonfat yogurt
– 1 tbsp. minced garlic
– dash of salt and fresh ground pepper
– 10 olives (sliced)
– 2 jalapenos (sliced)
– 1 tbsp. garlic powder
– 1 tbsp. oregano
– 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil.
First, light up the barbecue and let it heat up. Next, take the peppers and place them on the grill over medium heat. Take a brush and lightly dip into oil and brush over peppers. When it comes to the peppers, make sure to turn them frequently and grill until they are crisp and tender. Do not overcook and because these peppers are small, this can happen really quickly. It will take about 5 minutes to fully cook these peppers. Next, remove from barbecue and halve the peppers lengthwise. Set aside.
It’s now time to make the stuffing for the peppers, in a bowl mix the yogurt with the minced garlic, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Take yogurt mixture and fill each pepper with it. Next, take the olives and jalapenos and place on top of the yogurt and they are ready to serve.
1. The pepper used for this recipe should be small bell peppers. If using this recipe for dinner, large peppers are okay, just use four of them for the same alternative ingredients.
2. Make sure to slice the jalapenos very thinly. These will be very hot so make sure to wash hands after slicing.
3. If nonfat yogurt is not available, just make sure to get plain yogurt.
4. If you have fresh oregano, feel free to substitute.
5. A great add to this recipe is nonfat mozzarella cheese to add on top. If going to add the cheese place stuffed peppers with cheese on top in oven on 350 degrees for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Nonfat mozzarella cheese can be substituted for other cheeses on hand.