We were wanting pizza for supper last night, but we all agreed we didn’t want all the calories and crust. However, I remember seeing some gluten free sandwich wraps in the freezer the other day. I had heard about Tortilla based thin crust pizzas, but had never tried them. So, I thought I would give it a whirl with these gluten free wraps.
I tried a few different techniques but the best I found was this:
1) Preheat oven to 400.
2) Lightly brush wrap with olive oil on both sides.
3) Cook in oven on bottom rack for 1.5 minutes on each side.
4) Remove from oven and top with a thin layer of tomato sauce all the way to the edges of the wrap. It is important to go all the way to the edges with the sauce because it keeps the crust from burning.
5) Top with a thin layer of cheese and other toppings of your choice.
6) Return to oven for 5 minutes.
7) Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes.
I myself have a special pizza cooking pan. It’s a round no stick pan that has holes in it to help the crust cook better. As part of your pre-heating method, I recommend putting your pizza pan or cookie sheet in the oven to get hot and then sliding the pizza onto the hot pan. This helps the crust cook better. Sprinkling cornmeal on the pan helps too because it puts air between the surface of the pan and the crust, also helping the crust to cook better.
Use barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce and top with a colby/jack cheese mix, green onions and chicken chunks for a barbecue pizza.
These pizzas were really good and light. The crust actually tasted great too, and each one only took around 8-10 minutes to make.