In a society obsessed with sports, we love our superstar athletes! We love to love them as much as we love to hate them! But if you had to think about it, who would you say are the greatest athletes of the last decade. Well, I have my opinion as to who I think they are and why. Let’s see if you agree.
5. David Beckam. Though his career peeked in the early 2000s, you can’t deny his impact on the soccer world. His career has spanned over 20 years and includes being recognized for being the first English player to win league titles in four countries! Beckham “won the Premier League title six times, the FA Cup twice, and the UEFA Champions League in 1999. He then played four seasons with Real Madrid, winning the La Liga championship in his final season with the club.” Yes, Beckam may not be the greatest soccer player of all time, but certainly has had an impressive run over the last 10 years!
4. Tiger Woods: When you think of golf, no matter how familiar you are with the sport, there is only one name that comes to mind TIGER WOODS. Tiger is undoubtedly one of the greatest golfers of ALL TIME, and though he hit a rough spot in the early 2000’s in his personal life, he came back with a vengeance, quickly rising back to the top! His achievements include being “awarded PGA Player of the Year a record eleven times, the Byron Nelson Award for lowest adjusted scoring average a record eight times, and has the record of leading the money list in ten different seasons. He has won 14 professional major golf championships , the second highest of any player ( Jack Nicklaus leads with 18), and 79 PGA Tour events, second all time behind Sam Snead , who had 82 wins. He has more career major wins and career PGA Tour wins than any other active golfer. He is the youngest player to achieve the career Grand Slam, and the youngest and fastest to win 50 tournaments on tour.” WOW, that is a pretty impressive run indeed!
3. Michael Phelps: Michael is the most decorated Olympian, PERIOD! I don’t think I really need to say more than that, but let’s go ahead and take a look at a few of his meager successes. *lol* “Phelps is the long course world recordholder in the 100-meter butterfly, 200-meter butterfly and 400-meter individual medley as well as the former long course world recordholder in the 200-meter freestyle and 200-meter individual medley . He has won a total of 71 medals in major international long-course competition, totalling 57 gold, 11 silver, and 3 bronze spanning the Olympics, the World , and the Pan Pacific Championships. Phelps’s international titles and record-breaking performances have earned him the World Swimmer of the Year Award seven times and American Swimmer of the Year Award nine times as well as the FINA Swimmer of the Year Award in 2012. His unprecedented Olympic success in 2008 earned Phelps Sports Illustrated magazine’s Sportsman of the Year award.”
2. LeBron James: You can’t say the word basketball with out thinking Lebron James! He began is career with the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003and the rest is history! He has totally taken the court by storm! Some of his achievments include “two NBA championships , four NBA Most Valuable Player Awards , two NBA Finals MVP Awards , two Olympic gold medals , an NBA scoring title , and the NBA Rookie of the Year Award . He has also been selected to ten NBA All-Star teams, nine All-NBA teams, and five All-Defensive teams, and is the Cleveland Cavaliers’ all-time leading scorer .” WOW indeed!
1. Peyton Manning: Now, as a long time Colts fan, I may be lightly biased with my number one pic, but you can’t arugue with the numbers. Manning’s playing career and statistics have ranked him among the greatest quarterbacks of all-time. “From 1998 to 2010, he led the Colts to eight (seven AFC South and one AFC East ) division championships, two AFC championships, and one Super Bowl championship (Super Bowl XLI ). His five NFL MVPs are a league record, he was the most valuable player of Super Bowl XLI, has been named to thirteen Pro Bowls, has 13 4,000-yard passing seasons, and is the Indianapolis Colts’ all-time leader in passing yards (54,828) and touchdown passes (399). In 2009, he was named the best player in the NFL, and Fox Sports , along with Sports Illustrated , named him the NFL player of the decade for the 2000s. Before the 2013 season had even finished SI had named him their Sportsman of the Year.” Aside from his success as a quarterback, Manning is equally known for being a stand-up guy as well as actively working with many, many great charities which is why I give him my number one slot!
So there you have it! My pics for the top athletes of the last decade. What do you think?
Sources include www.biography.com, www.tigerwoods.com, www.nfl.com