The spring months are a great time to lighten up your plate and incorporate some seasonal fruits and vegetables into your weekly menu. If you’re getting ready for a spring break getaway or just want to be in better shape this summer, take some time to clean up your diet. Reducing and eliminating processed foods from your diet is a necessary step for better health. You can also add some superfoods to your plate for an extra dose of nutrients.
Here are six simple ways to clean up your diet for spring:
1. Enjoy a liquid breakfast. Whether you want to try juicing for a week or kick off your day with some extra fruit and veggies, trading out cereal and other breakfast foods for freshly-squeezed juice or a smoothie can be a healthy way to start your day.
2. Try a greens supplement. A greens supplement is a simple way to get your daily dose of nutrients from some of nature’s most antioxidant-rich foods. I mix Garden of Life Perfect RAW powder into a smoothie or just mix a scoop of greens with water for a nutritious boost first thing in the morning.
3. Eat more leafy greens. Spinach and kale are some of the most versatile leafy greens you can add to your diet this spring. Leafy greens are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Make your spring salads with spinach, kale, or field greens instead of romaine or iceberg lettuce for some extra nutrients.
4. Lose the sugar. Scaling back on sugar can be easier when you eat more healthy fats and protein on a regular basis. Cut out the sugary drinks and snacks this spring and start eating more fresh and raw foods when possible.
5. Trade empty carbs for slow carbs. You don’t have to eliminate carbohydrates from your diet completely but you will want to say goodbye to refined carbohydrates – white bread, white rice, and sugary cereals are some examples of empty carbs that provide no nutritional value. Trade these foods for healthy carbs like brown rice, sprouted grain bread, sweet potatoes, and oatmeal. These types of carbohydrates offer more nutrients and can provide you with long-lasting energy.
6. Add more superfoods to your plate. Superfoods like asparagus, artichokes, and scallions can be a good source of fiber and nutrients that are essential for healthy digestion. Asparagus can be especially effective for eliminating water retention. If you want to do a detox for spring or just want to improve digestion, start eating more of these foods on a weekly basis.