ESL students constantly search for tips to make learning English easier. I have taught English for over 3600 hours within the classroom. These are the very best suggestions I give to students every year. You must put these into practice if you want your English to get better.
- Record yourself talking- Many students now possess a smart phone. The best thing that you can do to help you learn is used the voice recorder to play back how you sound when you are speaking. You would be surprised how many pronunciation errors you can correct this way.
- Have fun learning- You have to find ways to enjoy learning. I understand that taking tests and exams are not fun. However, you can still find methods to make it fun which will make your tests easier and less stressful. I highly recommend watching movies, TV shows, talk shows, and listening to music. You can easily learn lots of new vocabulary this way.
- Never forget your end goal- I see many students extremely excited to start class the first week of school. Two weeks later, they are sleeping in my class. You have to remind yourself every day of what your goal. How much better will your life be if you speak fluent English? Think about the jobs you can get if you speak excellent English. Tell yourself that every single day!
- Make friends with foreigners- This is extremely important to your success. Foreigners will always be willing to speak in English with you. You will learn how to participate in conversations in a much easier way. It is also a great way to pick up on slang, expressions, and other idioms. Besides, it is fun to learn about another culture. If there are no foreign people in your school, You can join an online English club. Search for groups on forums of people that want to learn English.
- Do your work- Many times students forget one important part about studying English. They have to study also. Teachers want the learning to be fun for you. However, you still have to do the required work outside of class. It would be impossible to learn a foreign language just by coming to class for a few hours every week.
- Keep a journal- This is the easiest way to make learning more practical for you. Spend 10-15 minutes every night writing in a journal in English. Your vocabulary increases rapidly when you do this. This is because it gives you a chance to practice new words in a personal manner.
What is the best tip a teacher ever gave you? Did you use the advice? What is the best advice you ever gave a student