One word that has been used to describe long distance relationships is HARD! From my experience people have said that having a successful long distance relationship is nearly impossible. Long distance relationships are considered one of the hardest relationships simply because the contact is not on a day-to-day basis and can range from once a week, once a month, or even longer.
I know this first-hand because my wife and I dated long distance during our entire dating period (over 2 years) and even after we were married. We had to maintain our long distance relationship for the first year and a half of our marriage due to not being able to secure jobs in the same city.
The process of making sure that our relationship was successful took extra effort and dedication. The steps we took prior to living together made our relationship strong and made the transition of living under the same roof quite a seamless transition. Here are five ways on having a successful long distance relationship:
1. Establish Trust: This should be the first step and your first sign of whether you should continue the relationship. Trust, of course, must be earned and it does take time to establish but if it cannot be established then it is time to move on.
2. Make Sure you are Done Looking: This is a very important point! If you are going to establish a long distance relationship, you need to make sure you are done looking for the right one. Temptation is everywhere and it is much easier to be led astray if you are not done looking for Ms. Right or Ms. Right Now.
3. Establish a Set Routine: Make sure you and your significant other establish a set routine where you get in contact with one another. This means making sure your calendars align and if you cannot get in contact with her at the time(s) that was established simply let her know beforehand. There are, of course, times when your calendars do not align perfectly but make sure that it does not become a habit because that can easily cause unnecessary conflict.
4. When You Visit one Another, Make Sure You Value Your Time Together: Avoid all outside distractions when you see one another. This means putting away work, not picking up phone calls unless it is absolutely necessary, and truly dedicating your time together to one another.
5. Don’t be Selfish: This is necessary. You have to be willing to be selfless and make sure you are dedicated to her which may mean taking some time away from your hobby of choice and sacrificing time spent with friends. I do not mean all of your time because you need to make sure you still maintain strong friendships outside of your relationship and have hobbies that you enjoy. If you do not make your relationship your top priority, there is a good chance that the relationship will fail.
As I stated prior, being in a long distance relationship is not easy but if you are willing to make the extra effort and put in the necessary work then it can be the greatest relationship. I can say honestly that after I followed the points that I stated prior, my long distance relationship was hands down the greatest relationship I had ever been in and ultimately resulted in a happy marriage. Do not be afraid to give it a try. You may be surprised by how amazing it could be.