There are a lot of things people are unaware of about the Peace Corps. Of course, it would be a wonderful thing to do. A person can get to go to foreign countries and help people. Unfortunately, it’s not as easy as just jumping in line and going overseas.
1. They are looking for people with certain skills that can help with certain projects in different parts of the world.
2. You can’t just say what country you would like to work in and automatically go there. There are different areas that need different types of humanitarian attention, such as recycling or rebuilding.
3. You have to be trained in at least one of the certain fields that are available for you to be able to do your part. They will provide some of the training, however previous college does help.
4. The more experience you have in a certain field, the shorter your missions can be, if you would like that option. They want experienced workers ready for when and where they are needed the most.
5. You can get hurt or even get a disease working in different third world countries and with the locals. These are a few things you should keep in mind before joining the Peace Corps.
It is a great opportunity to get an education in a field and to volunteer to help other countries build up their economies and environments. The Peace Corps was started by John F. Kennedy in 1961 (www.ourdocuments.gov) and was designed to help establish foreign relations with countries. Just make sure you do your home work before you join.
Other articles from the writer:
Do it Yourself: How to Pour a Cement Pad
What to Expect on a Trip to England
The Diverse Culture in Okinawa, Japan
North Korean Military’s Size