It is finally summer which means you are out laying by the pool and enjoying the beach! It also means that the sun’s rays are out and they are shining brightly in full force. It is important that you protect yourself from the damaging rays because they have the potential to cause many health risks, such as cancer. If you’re not sitting in the shade, you need to wear sunscreen. But, not all sunscreens are created equal, so knowing the lingo and what to look for allows you to make an educated purchase. When you are buying sunscreen, consider the following things so you can have tons of fun in the sun – safely!
1) SPF… SPF, or sun protection factor, is the most important thing to look for when buying sunscreen. It refers to the degree that the lotion blocks dangerous UVB and UVA rays. The higher the SPF, the longer that you are protected from the sun. If you plan on spending a full-day in the sun, you will want to opt for a sunscreen with a higher SPF to prevent a painful sunburn.
2) Water resistance… If your summer plans include swimming in the ocean or taking a dip in the pool, a water-resistant sunscreen is essential. The best part about water-resistant sunscreen is that it will not wash off when you get in water which means you are protected from the bright sunshine, no matter what! The label will clearly state if the product is water-resistant so keep a close eye out for the ones that are and avoid the ones that are not if water play is in your future.
3) Ease of application… Putting on sunscreen isn’t always easy, especially on those hard to reach spots, such as your shoulders and lower back. Slobbering on thick sunscreen isn’t always fun either. Look for a sunscreen that is easy to apply to ensure that you get it on all of those hard-to-reach spots. Gel and spray sunscreens are usually the easiest to apply.
4) Broad spectrum… A broad spectrum sunscreen is one that protects against UVB and UVA rays, at the same time. This means that you are successfully preventing sun spots and wrinkles, and protecting yourself against the dangers of skin cancer as well.
5) Active ingredients… When shopping for sunscreen, you need to be one the lookout for two very important ingredients: zinc oxide and avobenzone. These are two magical ingredients are what give sunscreens the power to protect you from the sun. Most sunscreens already contain them, but it is always a good idea to double check.
Next time that you are in the market for a sunscreen, be sure to keep these tips in mind, after all, a summer vacation is not complete without protection from the sun!