That big tub of unsweetened yogurt in the grocery store is something you may have been avoiding. You may have even thought “gross! who buys that stuff?” while grabbing the vanilla. I do. I buy that stuff. Here is why:
1. Better for you. While yogurt, in general, is good for you, the unsweetened stuff is much better. Most yogurts add a lot of extra sugar, and you really don’t need it. When I want yogurt, I put the plain in a bowl with fruit and/or honey and maybe some walnuts. Boom. Healthy breakfast, and much lower on the sugar than the other stuff.
2. Cheaper in the long run. These big tubs can last a while. The little six packs of yogurt? You’re just paying for packaging.
3. Can replace mayo in salads. Do you like tuna salad or egg salad or chicken salad or potato salad or macaroni salad? Me too! Have you been eating them less because of the mayo? Yeah, I did too. But you can use plain yogurt to replace the mayo in all of these things. It’s just about using the right seasonings to balance it out. Not only does this seriously cut the calories, but it helps your wallet too. I make a big batch of egg salad (or chickpea salad which is high in protein and delicious), that will last me about four days. I have my lunch ready to go, and it was way cheaper than keeping pre-sliced cheese and ham on hand.
4. Can replace sour cream. I have put plain yogurt on Mediterranean dinners, and on Indian dinners. So yummy! But I have also used it on Mexican food. If you’ve already got the right amount of spice going on, that slightly tangy yogurt flavor doesn’t deter from it at all. It’s just like sour cream but with a different consistency!
5. Can be used in pasta sauce. There are lots of recipes for this. You really can throw plain yogurt into a cream sauce base and watch it turn into a healthier version of alfredo sauce. Seriously.
Yeah. Plain yogurt rocks.