I frequently write articles about coffee shops because my dad owns a local coffee shop here in Northern Greece. I try to “steal” some of his tips every now and then. And I write articles like this one in order to help people open or maintain their own coffee shops.
Let’s have a look at 5 important tips on how to open and maintain a successful cafe:
1. I am sure you’ve heard this but it is important so I want to say it again. Success with this business is all about location, location, location. Your coffee shop needs to be opened in the right place so it will attract more customers and offer a great experience.
2. As technology progresses more and more coffee shops add free wireless internet access for their customers. If you don’t have a wireless network in your own shop, have one installed immediately and try to let people know about it e.g. mention it clearly with a message in the front door.
3. Always spy on your competition. Learn how they attract people, what offers they have. Learn at what prices they sell the coffee and the other drinks or beverages. When you know the secrets of your competitors you can learn from them and improve their tactics to attract more clients.
4. This is pretty common sense. Your shop must be comfortable and a nice play to be in and hang around with your friends or your date. The chairs must be comfortable, the wall colors and general decoration plays an important part. And of course the music must be right.
5. Invest in cleaning. This is one of the best tips in my opinion. Keep everything clean and especially the toilet rooms. Ladies will almost always visit the toilets and least once when in your shop. Everything in your cafe must be neat and in order. The chairs, the ashtrays, the bottles in the bar, everything. Clean and organized environment equals a more pleasant and unforgettable experience.
And that’s all I had to share with you today. Next time I exploit some tips from my father, I will write another article.
But I will not leave you without a gift. If you plan to open your own coffee shop business (or maintain an existing one) and you don’t know where to start e.g. you don’t have a business plan, then please continue reading these 5 coffee shop business tips.