If you think about it, a house is a dangerous place for an infant or toddler. There are all sorts of hidden dangers that can seriously injure or even kill your children.
We try to mitigate these dangers as best we can, but there are always things we can do to make our homes even safer. Some of these things we don’t even think about.
In order to best protect your family, make sure you keep these items out of the reach of your children (or get rid of them all together):
While seemingly an innocuous liquid, baby oil can cause serious respiratory problems, heart attack, and even death in infants and toddlers when the baby oil is ingested. The oil could coat the bronchial tubes in the lungs and there is not much if anything doctors can do to fix this. This danger is enhanced due to the nature of the oil itself: it looks just like water and many kids could easily mistake it as such.
I’m not talking here about the beer you have in your fridge (although you shouldn’t let your toddler drink this). I’m talking about the alcohol found in many of your daily cleansing products such as mouthwash and facial cleansers. If a small child ingests alcohol, it could lead to seizures or coma. This liquids might not look like water with their blue or green coloring, but that just means they now look like sports drinks or juice.
These products aren’t usually kept indoors. Rather they are usually stored in the garage. However, it is still important to keep them out of the reach of any children as well as pets. These products can cause incredible damage to the eyes, kidneys, and other body parts. Many pets have also been known to die after ingesting antifreeze, so do not leave these out.
Hydrocarbon liquids are one of the most ingested poisons by children. Hydrocarbons can be found in several household items like kerosene, lighter fluid, and many types of household cleaners. Many times these types of liquids are stored in unlabeled containers and have attractive smells for children.