Laws are put in place by country and state leaders around the world. These laws are supposed to protect us, guide us, and in some cases keep the population under control. Since the beginning of our country we’ve had these rules to follow and obey for our own benefit. However, sometimes these rules can go a little bit sideways in the degree of effectiveness or being up to date with the times. My home state, West Virginia, has many laws that don’t make any sense yet they still exist today. Here are fifteen of the craziest, weird, and downright dumb laws I found that some places in the United States still have when looking up my own.
1. No Asses Allowed-In the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania it is illegal for someone to bring or ride a donkey or a mule on a trolley car.
2. Play Ball-In Eureka, California if you wish to play baseball you must get permission from the Director of Public Works before starting a game in a city park.
3. Punishable Lewdness-Up until 2010, unmarried couples living in West Virginia engaging in lewd acts could face up to one year in prison if not in an official marriage.
4. Internal Warfare-In South Dakota if three or more Native American Indians are walking down the street in a group, they can be considered a party of war and shots may be fired at them legally.
5. No Rights for Old Men– In Alabama, women are able to keep everything they owned prior to marriage in the event that a divorce should take place. The law holds no special consideration for men.
6. No Pig Pen-In Florida the state law allows a person freedom of speech, a trial by jury, and the right of pregnant pigs to be free from a caged life.
7. Thanks For The Warning– In Texas a newer law was passed that specifically requires criminals to warn their victims 24 hours in advance, either by word or a written statement. They must also disclose the nature of the crime they are about to commit.
8. No Parties– In Borger, Texas it is illegal to throw confetti, rubber balls, feather dusters, or explosive firecrackers or fireworks of any kind.
9. Move Over– In the state of Nebraska drivers are instructed to drive with caution near the right side of the highway on mountains. This warning is in vain since their are no mountains.
10. Run Dog Run!– In Denver, Colorado dog catchers must warn dogs of an imposing catch by posting a public notice on a tree and alongside a public road for three days in a row.
11. Finish– If a cop approaches a car in Coeur d Alene and thinks sex acts are happening, he has to honk his horn or flash his lights and wait three minutes before approaching the car.
12. Two Face– In New York it is illegal to meet or hangout with a group in public if two or more people are wearing a mask or something obstructing the view of their face at any time.
13. No Loitering(On Your Own Property)- In Kendall, New York you may not camp on your own land for any more than 72 hours per month. If someone wants to spend up to two weeks camping they must obtain a permit, issued only once monthly.
14. Holy ****– In Indiana anyone who uses a religious term offensively involving the father, son, or holy ghost can be fined three dollars for each offense up to ten dollars per day.
15. Predict This– In North Carolina the career of being a professional fortune teller is forbidden. If someone wants to become an amateur fortune teller it must be done inside the grounds of a school or church.
These are just a few examples of the weird laws that still exist to this day in our state and city legislature. I for one am surprised than any of these and the many others have lasted for so long. If you have any weird laws not listed here from your state let me know down below.