Love is a beautiful thing that is often described as a feeling, a state of mind, and an attitude towards a person, a place, or a thing. Love facilitates happiness which then turns into growth and function. Love songs embrace love in more ways than one. When you hear a song that practically defines your relationship, it is evident that you are also reminded of the passion and of course, the memories. So, what are the top 100 love songs of all time?
100. Be With You by Mr. Big. Did you ever met someone who was so tormented that they held up so many walls? That they feared loving someone that was good to them? This song is about tough love and accepting and acknowledging that there is love outside of the bad.
99. Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever) by Muse. Does love exist? Does love last forever? According to this song, it does. Released in May of 2010, this is one of the greatest love songs of all time.
98. Where Is The Love? by Black Eyed Peas. I remember when I first heard this song back in 2003. The message this song produces is so powerful and moving, the instant I heard it, I knew Black Eyed Peas were going to be worldclass superstars. And guess what? I was right.
97. You And I by Lady Gaga. The power of love can take it’s toll on one who expresses everything they have, as a whole. Love should never hurt because if love is real, it will never die. Is love really me and you or is love really you and I?
96. Don’t Speak by No Doubt. Do you always tell that one person in life, that you love the most when you are hurting? What if that person loves you so much, they know exactly what you are thinking? This song answers these questions.
95. Love Will Lead You Back by Taylor Dayne. If you are in love and something happens that you end up breaking up, this song assures you that if you are meant to be with that person, you will both find each other again. So, if you are sitting there reading this article, feeling sorry for yourself, remember that if it’s meant to be, it will happen.
94. Torn by Natalie Imbruglia. Released in October of 1997, this love song embodies what love is all about. Although one can envision pristine love, life will give you something completely different. And with that love you are given, you have to make the best of what it is.
93. Lips Of An Angel by Hinder. Love is all about connecting to that special person. And if the love is real, it never fades nor dies. Love touches all of the senses, as explained in this song. Released in 2005, this will always be one of the best love songs ever.
92. The Reason by Hoobastank. Released in April of 2004, this post-grunge, love ballad proves why it is one of the greatest love songs of all time. To be loved is one thing, but to be the reason why someone is living is another.
91. Hanging By A Moment by Lifehouse. Alternative rock produces some of the best love songs you will ever hear. Released in April 2001, this tune relates to a lot of people. And because of this, it truly embodies what love is all about.
90. I Do (Cherish You) by 98 Degrees. When you love someone so much, you practically worship the ground they walk on and as a result, you cherish them. Love is such a fascinating yet powerful emotion that isn’t always explained, but does exist.
89. 2 Become 1 by Spice Girls. It is true what they about life, when you really love someone, they eventually become a part of you. If two souls are joined together, they do become one. And that is what love is.
88. Love Story by Taylor Swift. When it comes to Taylor Swift and love songs, it seems the two go together like coffee and mornings. As one of the best love songs in the history of music, this song was based on a guy Swift was actually dating.
87. Because Of You by Kelly Clarkson. Asking for forgiveness can be very tough, especially when you love someone so much, it hurts you inside. I remember in 2005, I was shopping and heard this song being played in a store. This is clearly one of the best love songs of all time.
86. Amazed by Lonestar. Do you want to spend the rest of your life with your significant other? Everything your significant other does, do you feel amazed by what they do? Love is a plethora of emotions wrapped around souls and this song, truly is one of the greatest.
85. I Believe In You by Il Divo featuring Celine Dion. Love is all about feeling, passion, and romance. And this is exactly what this song embodies. I don’t know about you, but I want this to be played at my wedding. Je crois en toi!
84. It’s The Lover (Not The Love) by Tiffany. Loving someone is one thing, but to be in love with them is another. Does the love that exists ever fade away? Is it the love that walks away or the lover that does?
83. When I Look Into Your Eyes by Firehouse. Written by Bill Leverty and CJ Snare, this song truly makes me think of romance, happiness, and passion every single time I hear it. As one of the greatest love songs, you cannot help but love this tune.
82. Listen To Your Heart by Roxette. Do you ever listen to your heart? Do you believe the heart does the thinking? When it comes to love, who makes the decision that it is real? Is it you or your heart?
81. Heaven by Bryan Adams. When you think of your life up until this point, it’s as if you are trapped inside of a story book. Love is the light that leads you to the right place in life. If Heaven is really the paradise, then love is also the connection to that place.
80. I Could Fall In Love by Selena. Love is not about pain, love is not about misery, love is about being happy and ambitiously optimistic. Released in June of 1995, this pop ballad remains to be one of the greatest love songs in the history of music.
79. Second Chance by Shinedown. I remember when I first heard this song, I was shopping with my mom. And ever since then, I just knew this song held a special meaning because the man that I am with today was someone that I dated many years ago. Second chances do exist.
78. It’s Your Love by Tim McGraw featuring Faith Hill. Love is so powerful and as a result, sends the most powerful messages. When I first heard this song, I could feel the love projected upon me.
77. I Was Born To Love You by Freddie Mercury. Everything Farrokh Bulsara wrote about had some sort of affiliation with love because he loved music that much, however; this song really tells a story about love and it’s relation to a wavelength.
76. Don’t You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds. Often described as a melancholy dance track, this is one of those love songs that make you remember. So, even if you try to forget, you will always remember.
75. If You Leave by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (OMD). Have you ever watched the movie Pretty In Pink? Released in April of 1986, this uptempo love song was written and recorded in just 24 hours.
74. Making Love Out Of Nothing At All by Air Supply. When it comes to love, it something that will find you, when you least expect it to. If you go searching for it, you will never find it. When you are looking for nothing, something always happens.
73. Love Song by Tesla. Released in 1989, this power rock ballad is not only one of the group’s biggest hits of all time, but the ultimate love story. Without love in your life, life is not worth living.
72. With Arms Wide Open by Creed. Long-lasting, healthy relationships always set standards for those around us. To accept and to inspire is to love who you are and what you do. If you can do this, you can rely less on others to do it.
71. More Than Words by Extreme. Released in March of 1991, this song focuses on love fully rather than one dimensionally. When you love someone, do you always use words to describe your love for them? There are many ways to show your love and that is what this song is all about.
70. Wonderwall by Oasis. The beauty of this song is found in the lyrics “because maybe, you’re gonna be the one that saves me, and afterall, you’re my wonderwall”. I think it’s self exclamatory.
69. Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan. Although this song has been covered by everyone such as Garth Brooks, Billy Joel, Kelly Clarkson, and Adele there remains to be one version that possesses the best message of all, the original. Released in September of 1997, this is a love song you will always remember.
68. You’re The Inspiration by Chicago. Released in November of 1984, this classic rock ballad is also one of the most world-renowned, classic love tunes you will ever hear. The next time you attend your friend or family member’s wedding, I am sure you will hear this song played.
67. Vivo Per Lei by Andrea Bocelli featuring Georgia. When one lives for love, you know they are born to love. You can love a person, a place, or a thing and if that love remains, it is true. Released in 1996, this is one of the greatest love songs I have ever heard to date.
66. A Groovy Kind Of Love by Phil Collins. When you are feeling blue, always know that if love is true, it will happen regardless if you are not looking or simply not ready. Expect the unexpected things in life and realize that love will find you and your significant other.
65. I Believe In You by Stryper. From the hit album ‘In God We Trust’ this beautiful Christian rock ballad delivers an amazing message about love. Through thick and thin and through black and blue, the love one has is true.
64. With Or Without You by U2. Sometimes love can be confusing. If you love someone, sometimes you fear the love that will manifest and if you love them, you want to be with them forever. Love can be tough, as love is never easy. In fact, it can sometimes be a struggle, but at the end of the day it exists.
63. Love Hurts by Nazareth. Written and composed by Boudleaux Bryant, this song remains to be a true classic in the romance genre. Although it was originally recorded by The Everly Brothers, I find this gem by Nazareth the strongest rendition yet.
62. Not Enough by Van Halen. Love isn’t always easy, however; sometimes love isn’t always enough and this is the message this song exudes. Through hardships and struggles, the love one has will continue to exist which is a beautiful thing.
61. Last Kiss by Pearl Jam. This song is quite sad, however; it is a love song with a happy ending. Originally performed by Wayne Cochran, when you love someone so much, that when you die, you know you will be reunited with them again. That is what this song is all about, as this is what real love is about too.
60. Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden. Not only is this the first #1 hit for the Australian pop duo, but one of their very first long songs. He tells a story about a young couple who separate, but still are truly, madly, deeply in love.
59. Who You Love by John Mayer featuring Katy Perry. Sometimes people put up walls because they want the one person in life, who truly loves them to break them down. Love is more than a plethora of emotions wrapped around our souls, it’s experiencing life with that special person. I really wish Mayer and Perry would get back together.
58. I Surrender by Celine Dion. The power of love is so strong that if you had to give up all of yourself just to keep it, you would. This is a love song that challenges ones’ role and as a result, delivers a message that tells a story.
57. Addicted To Love by Robert Palmer. What I love most about love is how it is expressed. Sure words have a great meaning and impact, however; actions do speak louder. Showing someone you love them, makes it addicting if you are truly happy with that person. And that is what this song is all about.
56. Forever by Mariah Carey. Released in March of 1996, this love tune truly tells a story about what every woman wants in this world, love to last forever. Whether an optimist or a pessimist, anyone can relate to this love song.
55. Wouldn’t It Be Nice by The Beach Boys. When I was a little girl, my mom was always playing Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds album. And I remember when I first heard this song, the only thing I could think of was the love this song expressed.
54. If Wishes Came True by Sweet Sensation. This love song is all about reminiscing with friends and having flashbacks of the love you once experienced. Then, finding that love again. The dreams we have and the wishes we wish for can have more meaning than reality itself.
53. Two Out Of Three Ain’t Bad by Meatloaf. Do you love them? Do you need them? Do you want them? Love is not easy because if it were, everyone would be in love right now and the world would probably be much better than it is. This song is all about testing your love for that person and the reciprocated love in return.
52. Evergreen by Barbra Streisand. Love is something so special, it is evergreen. It’s very rare because if it were normal, there would never separations and divorces. As the love theme to A Star Is Born, this song truly embodies what love is all about.
51. You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me by Dusty Springfield. If someone says they love you, do you believe them? If someone says they love you, do you say I love you back? Love is all about compromise because in the end, that is what leads to real happiness.
50. Grenade by Bruno Mars. Released in September of 2010, this pop rock ballad is truly one of the best love songs I have ever heard. Although this song emphasizes on heartbreak, it tells a story of love that is not reciprocated.
49. All My Life by K-Ci and JoJo. When I first met my current boyfriend, one of our love songs together was this one. Now over a decade has passed by and this song still remains a classic to us.
48. Modern Love by David Bowie. A tale of a man who lives in the now and refuses to say goodbye, but never gets over the love he has. It’s his current state of emotion and his current feeling, modern love.
47. Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis. When Ryan Tedder created this song, he obviously created a beautiful story that was projected onto others. As one of the greatest love songs of all time, the next time you and your significant other cannot think of a song, this may be the one you will want to use.
46. Crazy For You by Madonna. Out of the many great songs by the Queen of Pop, I have to admit that this one is truly a favorite. And when I heard that this love song was recorded in just one session, I have to admit it made me miss the old Madonna.
45. I Cross My Heart by George Strait. If you truly loved someone, would you swear to GOD that you would stay with them forever? Would you swear to Allah you would never leave? This song is all about giving everything you have and never giving up on love.
44. Chapel Of Love by Dixie Cups. Going to the chapel and I’m gonna get married. Are you going to tonight? Released in 1964, this uptempo fun love song remains a true classic to the romance genre and one of the greatest of all time.
43. Whataya Want From Me by Adam Lambert. Love is something that happens naturally, however; in order to love, you must break down those walls and give your entire being to the one you love the most. This song sends a powerful message that is as practical as it gets.
42. Bound To You by Christina Aguilera. When I first heard this song on the movie Burlesque, I was floored. This song delivers a story about a woman who finally meets a man she can love and she can trust, making it the ultimate love song.
41. Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh. I remember at my junior prom, looking at my current boyfriend in the eyes and him singing this song. And although my dress was blue at the time, the moment felt right. This is one of my favorite love songs.
40. Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles. Released in November of 1960, this soulful power ballad truly remains to be one of the greatest love stories you will hear through music. If you fear love, you always have concerns and this song is basically about that.
39. Something by The Beatles. Love is something we can express, as love is something we can experience. Love is physical, love is mental, love is social, and love is emotional. Love can be seen, but not always. Love is always something good.
38. I Remember You by Skid Row. As the 3rd and final single from Skid Row, this power ballad is a song you can expect to hear at a wedding or a prom. Everything from the arrangement to the lyrical delivery screams love.
37. If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time by R.Kelly. Released in July of 1999, this soulful pop love ballad is all about healing. When a man desperately wants to go back in time to rekindle the romance and relationship he once had with the woman he loves, the emotions he endures are projected in this song.
36. Let’s Stay Together by Al Green. The tale of a man who is so in love with his significant other that he refuses to let her leave. This is more than a love song, but a love story.
35. From This Moment by Shania Twain. Do you believe in love at first sight? Do you believe that love lasts forever? According to this song, love exists in many forms and as a result, lasts from the moment you meet to the moment you say goodbye.
34. Vision Of Love by Mariah Carey. When you are in love with someone, you will do just about everything you can to make them happy. And when you picture love, you picture all of the good things that come with it. Love is more than an emotion or feeling, it is a voice, a vision, and a message.
33. Computer Blue by Prince. Where is your love life? How is your love life? Love is as unique as the individual who loves, as love is the feeling that lights up that individual. Until you find the righteous one, computer blue.
32. Open Arms by Journey. If you go to a wedding, more than likely you will hear this song at least once. Love is something that happens naturally. Although it can be delivered, as it can be accepted, it’s something so powerful it can only be experienced.
31. You Are Not Alone by Michael Jackson. Not only does this song tell a story about a man who addresses his feelings, but it tells a story about how the woman he loves makes him feel. Love is a beautiful thing, as is this song.
30. I Only Have Eyes For You by The Flamingos. Can you believe this hit was released in 1959? Where has the time gone? As one of the greatest love songs, this tune really tells a story about someone who is so much in love, they only look, think, and breath that person. To me, that is what love is all about.
29. Happy Together by The Turtles. Not only is this song the Turtles only #1 single, but it is their only song about love. Released in 1967, this uptempo love tune is a classic.
28. Careless Whisper by Wham! As part of George Michael’s emotional development, this song delivers a message based on tough love and the trials and tribulations that followed. To love is one thing, but to actually be in a situation where your love is tested is another.
27. Angel by Aerosmith. Love can be very hypnotizing, as this song explains. Released in 1988, this power ballad remains to near and dear to my heart and of course, one of the greatest love songs you will ever hear.
26. Somebody To Love by Queen. Looking for someone to love is one thing, but actually experiencing it, well that is something special. Everything from the lyrical delivery to the story itself is beautiful, making this one of the best love songs of all time.
25. What It Takes by Aerosmith. Some of the most beautiful love songs I have ever heard are rock ballads and this fantastic gem is one of them. He wants to let her go, but instead cannot. To me, that is what love is all about.
24. Chains of Love by Erasure. Love cannot always be explained. In fact, it is often a feeling one cannot define. This song truly delivers a message that explains the unexplainable, making it one of the best love songs ever.
23. It’s Now Or Never by Elvis Presley. You have to admit, back in the day Elvis really did epitomize a blue-eyed soul, all about love, rock crooner. And today, this tune remains to be one of the most precious, classically inspired love songs ever.
22. Love Reign O’er Me by The Who. Love is a blessing in disguise, as love is redemption of our actions in general. Love is the strength that keeps us strong. And this is what this song is all about. I have to tell you, this was my ringback tone, as well as, my ringtone for the longest time.
21. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You by Bryan Adams. There are many different kinds of love, however; in this tale of selfless love, this song truly delivers an epic message about honoring love for what it is. This is easily one of the greatest love songs of all time.
20. I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder. This song took home the Academy Award for ‘Best Original Song’ when it was nominated in 1984. Taking you through a trip from the beginning of the year to the end, this really is what love is all about.
19. In The Still Of The Night by The Five Satins. Released in 1956, this soulful power ballad is one of the first doo-wop love songs. You can love just to love, as you can love just to live. The love in your heart can also be the love in your life.
18. It Must Have Been Love (But It’s Over Now) by Roxette. You can’t ever guess if something you experienced was something because in the end, it either is or isn’t. Love will exist when you least expect it and if it’s meant to be, it will remain or you will find that person eventually again.
17. Crazy by Patsy Cline. If you could write your thoughts about love on a piece of paper, focus on the questions you want to ask your significant other, write a melody to match the lyrics, and then come up with a composition to bring the song together, the result would be this song.
16. Is This Love by Whitesnake. Released in 1987, this is clearly one of the greatest songs you will ever hear. As effortless this ballad is, what makes it better is the fact that it tells a story about love.
15. Endless Love by Diana Ross & Lionel Richie. Produced by Jon Peters and directed by Franco Zeffirelli, this song reminds me of love every single time I hear it. Although I was not even a year old when this song came out, it is clearly one of the best love songs ever.
14. Without You by Harry Nilsson. Released in the Fall of 1971, this beautiful ballad truly proves why it is one of the best love songs of all time. When I first heard this song, my heart just melted into an oblivion of passion and heart felt emotion.
13. Faithfully by Journey. This song is based on the trials and tribulations of having a romantic relationship when you are extremely busy. When you love someone, you remain true to them and this is exactly what this song embraces.
12. Crying by Roy Orbison. Released in the Summer of 1961, this amazing love song not only tells a story, but makes you believe it. And that my friends is what love is all about.
11. These Arms Of Mine by Otis Redding. When I first heard this song, my heart basically melted into an oblivious soul redux. This 50+ year old hit remains to be one of the greatest songs in the history of music and of course, one of the best love songs there is.
10. O Sole Mio by Enrico Caruso. Written by Giovanni Capurro in 1898, this operatic aria is one of the most beautiful love songs you will ever hear. The aria treats love as if it’s a celebration, which is a glorious thing.
9. I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash. Imagine a song so powerful, that it remained on the charts for over 43 weeks and sold over 2 million copies. Well, you can stop imagining it because it happened. In fact, this song did.
8. Cry To Me by Solomon Burke. Released in 1964, this remains to be not only one of the greatest love songs I have ever heard, but a personal favorite too. If you are lonely and sad, love can lift you because it is that powerful.
7. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston. Although this is originally a Dolly Parton song, Whitney Houston pretty much made it her own when it held the number one spot for 14 weeks in 1992. This is clearly one of the greatest love songs of all time.
6. Without You by Motley Crue. Released in 1989, this power ballad is not only one of my favorite songs of all time, but one of the greatest love songs you will ever hear. Every time I hear this song I am reminded of how amazing it is.
5. Love Of A Lifetime by Firehouse. I was a child when this song was popular and after hearing this song for the first time, I was amazed at how moving it is. It is the type of song people get married to and one of the greatest love songs in the history of music.
4. My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion. As the theme to the movie Titanic, this love song was not only Dion’s biggest hit ever, but one of the best selling singles of all time and the world’s best in 1998. James Horner and Will Jennings were geniuses to come up with this amazing song, as Celine was a genius for taking it on.
3. O Mio Babbino Caro by Maria Callas. When Puccini created this aria, I don’t think he knew the impact it would have on music today. This aria tells a story about a woman who begs her family to love a man. As she attempts to get permission, she tells them how life would be without him.
2. At Last by Etta James. Written in 1941 by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren for the 1942 hit movie Orchestra Wives, this song truly is love. Every time I hear it from the beginning all of the way to the end, I still love it as if I heard it for the first time.
1. Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers. This song not only epitomizes love, it defines it. And because of this, it is the number one love song of all time. The next time you are in the car and decide to turn on the love station, expect to hear this song played.