If you’ve been trying to lose weight or get healthy, you’ve probably been looking into ways to change your diet for the better. There are thousands of foods to choose from that will add a healthy boost to your body, but there are even more that will not. In my goal to lose weight, I have made several lists of foods that I can eat or should only eat on rare occasions. Here are 10 of the most unhealthy foods and food categories that you can add to your diet.
1. Processed Foods– Any food that you can not name the exact ingredients or tell exactly how it was made and packages is probably a processed food. These are typically loaded with saturated and trans fats that will quickly reverse weight loss progress.
2. Fast Food– Along with being loaded with fat, most fast food is laden with deep fry oils and sugary and savory dressing that isn’t the best for you. Even healthier options such as salad and wraps come with dressings that often have more calories than the standard shelf counterpart.
3. Ice Cream– While this is occasionally a delicious treat to allow yourself on a hot summer day, you may want to think twice before indulging while on a diet. Ice cream is heavy with fat, sodium, and sugars that will pack on the pounds. Try eating frozen yogurt for a slightly healthier alternative.
4. Canned Fruit– Many parents and dieters alike make the mistake thinking canned fruit or fruit cups are extremely healthy. While the vitamin c does make them partly healthy, the syrup is loaded with sugar that will slow metabolism and cause cavities. If you’re eating fruit from a can make sure to rinse under cool water for one minute to reduce the amount of sugar you intake.
5. Popcorn– While making air popped popcorn yourself is healthy because you control every ingredient, your standard bad of microwave popcorn is not. Microwave popcorn has a horribly large amount of fats, oils, and sodium that will not add anything to your health regimen.
6. Gas Station Food– While many gas stations are starting to stock more healthy alternatives to their snacks, most still offer the same unhealthy variety as always. Candy, cookies, and chips might fill you up but will be detrimental in the long run of your health goals. On vacation, instead of buying gas station food, try packing fruit and veggies in a cooler to save yourself some money and your health in the process.
7. Deep Fried Finger Foods– While it may seem tempting to get that fried pickle appetizer or add that super sized fry to your meal, you may want to think again. These foods are extremely high in fats and offer little to no nutritional gain. If you have to eat these foods buy their frozen counterparts from your grocery store and bake them instead of frying.
8. Dips, Dressings, and Sauce– All three of these are usually high in both fats and sugars that will only drag down your metabolism and nutrition of your meal. Even low fat varieties usually double sodium as a trade off for lower fat, making up for the lost flavor.
9. Liquor– Most people believe that since a shot of liquor is less both in volume and carbs that is healthier to drink than beer or wine. in some plain liquors this may be true but most mixed drinks and flavored varieties often end up being even more unhealthy than their counterparts.
10. Pre-Made Subs– While in theory these often start as a great healthy concept and usually are compared to other fast food, these subs can quickly pack on the pounds depending on toppings chosen. The bread is usually thick and rich in carbs while the up-charges like extra cheese, double meat, and a variety of dressings will keep adding calories on top of an otherwise healthy product.
If you’re trying to lose weight then these ten types of foods are some that you should think twice before eating or only enjoy in moderation. Instead of these foods opt for fresh veggies, fruits, and grains for a much healthier meal. Enjoy!
The 30 Worst Foods in America- Eat This Not That
Nutrition and Healthy Eating- Mayo Clinic
For More health and diet information and reading from this author, check out:
Pros and Cons of Switching to the Paleo Diet
Great Ways to Naturally Manage Pain
10 Ways to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally