Broadly defined, global warming means an increase in Earth’s temperature. While some people do not believe that global warming is a reality, there is evidence that shows that the Earth is becoming an increasingly warmer place.
Here are 10 interesting facts about global warming:
1. Since the beginning of the 1970s, the four oceans have experienced the biggest rise in temperature. It has been estimated that 90% of the increase of average temperature has taken place in the oceans.
2. Another interesting fact about global warming is that the Earth’s surface has been warmer over the past three decades than during any decade since the middle of the 19th century.
3. Many politicians have spent time and energy devoted to raising awareness about global warming. One notable politician who has raised awareness is former vice president Al Gore. Gore has received a Nobel Prize for his efforts on helping the environment. He also wrote a book about global warming, An Inconvenient Truth.
4. Reducing carbon emissions could lessen the impact of the increase in temperature. For the purpose of helping the environment, it is better to drive cars that have high mileage per gallon. On a side note, these types of cars are also cheaper to own.
5. It is believed that the place that has been hit the most by global warming is the Arctic. Over the years, there has been a decrease in glaciers, permafrost, and sea ice in this area of the world. As one would image, natural habitats in which animals live in the Arctic have been jeopardized.
6. The percentage of greenhouse gases have increased since the 21st century. Each year since the beginning of the 21st century greenhouse gases have increased by 2.2%, compared to 1.3% each year over the last 30 years of the 20th century.
7. One possible detrimental effect of global warming is species extinction. There are a number of species that could become extinct due to a loss of habitat. One possible specie that could become extinct is reindeer.
8. Although the number of people per year who believe that global warming is a serious threat is increasing, some people still do not believe that temperatures are going up. Based on public opinion, it seems as if many people still are skeptical of climate change.
9. Another interesting fact about global warming is that some companies have raised funds to show that climate change is not a reality. One company in particular is ExxonMobil.
10. The last interesting fact about global warming is that, if there is nothing done to prevent the world from increasing in temperature, the total number of crops might decrease.
“Another week, another report,” The Economist.
Debra Bell, “10 Animals Threatened by Global Warming,” USA Today.
“Global Warming Fast Facts,” National Geographic News.
Keith Gaby, “Is Global Warming Real? A 30-Second Answer,” TheHuffingtonPost.com.