If you’ve been looking at diets and ways to lose weight, you’ve probably been looking for ways to give your metabolism a boost for better workouts and increased fat burning. A metabolism boost will allow you to work out longer and let your body use and store foods appropriately. We all know that the older we get, the lower our metabolism drops, leading to many health issues. Here are the 10 tricks I use to boost my metabolism that you can use in your every day activities.
1. Speed Up– In your daily activities try to add intense bursts in your activity. For example, when working out or even walking to lunch double your speed for 30 seconds at a time and then return to your normal pace. This will boost your metabolism and help you burn energy more efficiently through the day.
2. Omega 3’s– Omega supplements or a diet rich in fatty fish or other sources of this nutrient will help to raise your metabolism. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, Omega-3 acids have been shown to help depression, prevent diabetes, and prevent heart disease as well as providing a healthy metabolism increase.
3. Increase Muscle Mass– If you increase your muscle workouts this will in turn help boost your metabolism. Continuous training in the area of strength will keep your metabolism high even on days when you aren’t necessarily hitting the gym.
4. Drink Green Tea– Green tea is not only a great source of natural antioxidants but the active ingredient, known as catechin, which helps increase fat oxidation and improves your body’s production of energy.
5. Don’t Cut Calories– This is the one most people have the most trouble with. When dieting or trying to lose weight the first thing you will want to do is cut calories. If you cut too many your body will begin to store them in hibernation mode and will actually reverse your body’s metabolism.
6. Get Started Early– Make sure you choose to eat instead of skipping breakfast on your way out the door. Shortly after waking your metabolism starts its engine for the day. Eating helps to get it going and keeps it strong throughout the day.
7. Channel Your Inner Cow– Graze, or eat very small snacks, throughout the day to keep your metabolism at it’s peak level. Not only will it help your body but it will help you consume less calories overall by the end of the day.
8. Buy or Grow Organic– Fruits, vegetables, and grains that are grown organic have no pesticide residue that you may consume. Being exposed to these toxins will slow down your metabolism by interfering with your internal temperature gauge and changing the way it runs.
9. Water– Your body needs to be properly hydrated to process calories. To stay hydrated drink one glass of water before every meal and snack. Not only will you be healthier but this could also prevent cravings for calorie loaded foods.
10. Coffee– If you’re a coffee drinker then you are probably aware of the benefits of energy and increased concentration. Along with these, black coffee in moderation can help give you a good boost to your metabolism.
No matter which of these you try it’s good to get a good increase in metabolism at any age. No matter whether you are on a diet or just need more energy throughout the day, these will all give you the natural boost you need. Enjoy!
For more health and fitness reading from this author, check out:
10 Ways to Lower Your Blood Pressure Naturally
8 Natural Diuretic to Add to your Diet
Surprisingly Healthy Common Spices
Omega 3 Fatty Acids- University of Maryland Medical Center
Green Tea Boosts Metabolism- webMD
Metabolism and Weight Loss- Mayo Clinic